Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage loan and closing

tag
User273165
Regular Contributor

Mortgage loan and closing

I am currently going through a mortgage loan and am set to close on Dec 10th.  I have kind of a weird question, I am a first time homebuyer and are wondering about the utilities.  When she vacates the premises on Dec. 10th will the utilities still be on throughout the month? When do I need to set up my accounts with the utility companies?

My gas account has already been set up due to the fact that we needed a gas inspection, but I am not sure about the electricity and the water and trash....

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jessica04
Valued Member

Re: Mortgage loan and closing

Usually the current homeowner will have it shut off the day or week they plan to vacate the premises. You will need to call each utility company and have service turned on at the address for whatever date you anticipate getting into the house. Whenever I have moved, I called and had everything scheduled to be turned on for a certain day, usually weeks in advance.

Starting Score: 674 8/2010
Current Score: Your TransUnion FICO® score:
On November 17, 2012

Goal Score: 720+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Its best to call and set it up to get turned on Dec 10th. You will likely not have utilities when you first get there unless you've already called them. People are stingy when it comes to utilities... they don't even want to pay for a few days after they move out.

Best of luck man!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 6
User273165
Regular Contributor

I contacted my realtor today amd they referred me to a company they work with called onesource. They transfer all of the utilities from the previous owners name into my name on the day of closing.

I have a telephone meeting with them tomorrow to finalize everything. They made it very easy and it is a free service offered by my realtor!!!

Thanks for the comments
Message 4 of 6
ceejx
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
People are stingy when it comes to utilities... they don't even want to pay for a few days after they move out.

Come on! Smiley Happy This doesn't make a person stingy... Someone moving in can rack up quite a bit of energy costs in a week between AC on with doors open, lights on, water, etc....

Message 5 of 6
beb86
Valued Contributor

We had to have utilities on and in our name before closing

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.