Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage prequalification

tag
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Mortgage prequalification

My fiance and I are thinking about buying our first house.

We haven't started to look at places yet except the internet. Will probably start looking when I return from a work trip.

Is there anyway to get some mortgage prequalifications without a hard pull being done ?

I searched using google but none of the big banks specify if it will be a HP or SP.

We just want to see what we might qualify for price wise, the rates we might get, and if it would be better to just put it in her name or my name first or a joint app.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage prequalification

So-Fi has soft-pull mortgage application that will tell you estimated pre-approval and what rate you may get. If you decide to move further they'll do a hard pull. Also be aware that pre-qualification doesn't really mean a whole lot unless it's underwritten, so take the 'pre-approval' with a grain of salt.

Message 2 of 7
JVille
Valued Contributor

In order for your RE Agent to actually present an offer on a home you would like to buy you WILL need a real PreApproval letter in order for the Sellers to take your offer serious. Many agents these days won’t even show you a home without you getting a true PreQual.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

On Saturday we went to the local NFCU and received a prequal, not a preapproval.  They dont pull your credit but they do ask for your monthly obligations/income to give you an idea of what you could possibly qualify for.  Obviously dependant on pulling credit, verifying income, etc.  Took about 15 mins but it gave us a good idea of what principle/interest payment would be with the different rates.

Message 4 of 7
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

My best friend is going to be my realtor but we havent even contacted him about it.

We just kinda wanted to see what our options might be price wise and somewhat of a interest rate before we even decided if we wanted to actually buy a house  yet. Which is why i wanted some banks that did soft inquiries just to start to feel out what we might qualify for.

I tried to do SO FI but they dont do loans in the state I live in since I wasnt able to select my state.

Any other ideas ?

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Specify pre qualification. That is the weaker of the two because it is not based on evidence and underwritten but rather the information you provide. Tell the lender or broker the exact same thing you said here and that you do not give permission for a hard pull.

You can also use some of the online mortgage calculators.

Message 6 of 7
emferrari
Established Member

SunTrust Bank will do a pre-qualification with a hard pull, but, that pre-qual is actually stronger as they do pass thru AUS first and foremost.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.