Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage question - weird question

tag
helaurin
New Contributor

Mortgage question - weird question

I have just started the mortgage application process for a home I am purchasing.   

So far, the initial application process seems to be pretty similar to the last time I bought a house.  But here's the question I have.

The last time I had gotten a mortgage (with a husband at the time, but we are divorced now), I had to document and sign that I was sexually active, on birth control, that I was not pregnant, and not intending to get pregnant within some timeframe (I think it was 24 months) or so.  I recall that being pretty early in the application process, and because I was a married female of child-bearing age and my income was counting towards the debt-income ratios, it was a requirement for the mortgage approval (I think it was Norwest Mortgage at the time).

I haven't been asked that yet on this application.  At what point will I have to provide this information, since I am still of childbearing age?  Or will that question not be asked because I am not married and therefore not assumed to be sexually active?

Starting Score: 2014 775
Current Score: 822
Goal Score: 840

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Re: Mortgage question - weird question

How long ago was your last mortgage? My wife and I have just gone through this process and I can assure you we were not asked this question. A statement like this would (should) be considered a gross invasion of privacy and has probably been deemed illegal since your last application. 
TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 2 of 6
happy0510
Established Contributor

I just had to chime and say "HOLY SMOKES!!"

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I'm also curious about how long ago this was - this practice is almost definitely illegal these days.  In the past, similar questions were often asked of women applying for jobs; this, too, is not permitted (at least not by my employers over the last several years).

I don't think Norwest has been in existence as an independent entity for many years. 

Message 4 of 6
Regular Contributor

Wow! I really can't believe you were asked that!
Message 5 of 6
helaurin
New Contributor

Updating:   This was back in the summer of 1985.    I didn't like having to answer their questions then, (and as it turned out, I did end up having a baby nearly 2 years later, but I never informed them of that fact).  I figured if I was still working and paying the mortgage, it was none of their business.

Starting Score: 2014 775
Current Score: 822
Goal Score: 840

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.