Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage with Old medical?

tag
mikeandjenoh
Established Member

Mortgage with Old medical?

I was curious if anyone has tried to get a mortgage with old unpaid medical collections?  My hubby will have about 25k worth of unpaid medical left on his report next July when we will be trying to get a mortgage.  Did anyone have any luck?

Thanks In advance,

Jen

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage with Old medical?

when were the collections from?

Generally, most lenders now require collections to be paid...Especially if they are that large.  But, if the rest of the file is strong enough, and here are alot of reserves you may be OK.  Or you may just luck into a lender who does not worry about them if they were medical and a long time ago. 

Again though, in general, most bank are requiring all major collections paid.

Message 2 of 3
mikeandjenoh
Established Member

Re: Mortgage with Old medical?

Hi, thanks for your response.  I have been in craziness with trying to figure out what to do with these medical bills.  I wanted to do some PFD on all of the ones that were low enough for us to tackle but, they are with just 2 different collectors.  so, it makes it tough as I do not want to have them come after him for the other large ones as I am still within the SOL on  them.

These bills are from 2003-Early 2008.  With many different amounts.  Many of them will drop off the report this year and next.  If we were to try for the loan in 07/2011 3 of the bills will be 5 yrs old and the last one only being 4 yrs old (1 Month off from SOL)  I just looked again and the total is actually going to be $50k.

This is such a challenge as I do not know what is best to do.  I have running ideas around with the hubby.  I thought of potentially contacting the OC(whom does not report) to see if we could do a payment plan if they pulled them back from the collector and the Lawyer.  But then it will hurt our DTI ratio.    Thought of having the hubby do some sort of GW letter to the CEo of the hospital to see if there was anything they could do to help.  Just frustrated, lol. We have started the steps of rebuilding and we should be able to place 30% down on a $125k home and show persistence with rebuilding.  My husband seems to think that it will be enough for some lender (maybe not the best interest, etc) but I am nervous about it.

I know the best thing would to be to hold off on  a mortgage until they all clear but, I am bound and determined to own before I am 40, lol.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.