Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage without husband

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage without husband

I've been married for 12 years, but my husband has no credit aside from defaulted student loans. Can I get a USDA  loan without him? I don't care if he's on the deed, I just don't want his credit used for mortgage purposes.

BTW, we live in Minnesota - a non-marital-property state.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

Re: Mortgage without husband

This may be a question better placed in Mortgage loans but,  I would tend to say Yes, as long as Minnesota is not a community property state you can get a mortgage solely in your name.  It may be a lender discretion thing too, some lenders may want the spouse on the loan regardless.

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

To the best of my knowledge Minnesota is NOT a community property state. However, your lenders may need to weigh in. As was mentioned, since you are married the lenders may have questions?!
Message 3 of 12
kc0039
Established Contributor

Yes you can get a mortgage loan. His income will be added to make sure that you don't go over the income cap, but his income won't be used for qualifying income.

Licensed in IL
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, if he is a house husband, and has no income, we're all good?

Message 5 of 12
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 6 of 12
kc0039
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes. Just make him sign a letter stating that he has currently no source of income if your lender questions it

Licensed in IL
Message 7 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@kc0039 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes. Just make him sign a letter stating that he has currently no source of income if your lender questions it

Why in the world would a lender question it?

I have buyers all the time where one spouse is on the mortgage and the other isn't and there is never a question and never a LOE.  And, yes, it is just as common (today) for the female to be the one that has the income and the credit and the male spouse not to be on the loan. If such a letter were required, I would think that asking for that letter is getting awfully close to gender bias.  

Message 8 of 12
kc0039
Established Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@kc0039 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have buyers all the time where one spouse is on the mortgage and the other isn't and there is never a question and never a LOE.  And, yes, it is just as common (today) for the female to be the one that has the income and the credit and the male spouse not to be on the loan. If such a letter were required, I would think that asking for that letter is getting awfully close to gender bias.  

Not a gender bias. Different lenders, different overlays. I have had taken other clients from other competition with government loans and DPA program loans and they provide those to me. I don't question their honesty with me, especially when it comes to lowering income.

Licensed in IL
Message 9 of 12
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

usda has 'household income' limits.... they have to question the spouse about income. 

no bias. would be the same if the husband tried to get a loan without wife

Retired Lender
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.