Did you mean: 

Mortgage without husband

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Mortgage without husband

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Why in the world would a lender question it?

I have buyers all the time where one spouse is on the mortgage and the other isn't and there is never a question and never a LOE.  And, yes, it is just as common (today) for the female to be the one that has the income and the credit and the male spouse not to be on the loan. If such a letter were required, I would think that asking for that letter is getting awfully close to gender bias.  

usda has 'household income' limits.... they have to question the spouse about income. 

no bias. would be the same if the husband tried to get a loan without wife

Well, that explains it. We don't have any eligible USDA areas here - you have to go north to the next county or west to the middle of the everglades (I am exaggerating ) to get to a USDA eligible area.

We do have DPA type programs where HH income is used rather than just the borrowers' income. I was thinking of VA/FHA type or conventional loans. Sorry for my myopic rant Smiley Surprised

Message 11 of 12
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Mortgage without husband

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@kc0039 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So, if he is a house husband, and has no income, we're all good?

Yes. Just make him sign a letter stating that he has currently no source of income if your lender questions it

Why in the world would a lender question it?

I have buyers all the time where one spouse is on the mortgage and the other isn't and there is never a question and never a LOE.  And, yes, it is just as common (today) for the female to be the one that has the income and the credit and the male spouse not to be on the loan. If such a letter were required, I would think that asking for that letter is getting awfully close to gender bias.  

I do a lot of USDA loans & the non-working spouse has always been required to provide a letter stating they are not working & they do not plan to work anytime in the near future. It has nothing to do with the gender of who is working.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.