Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Accts/Statements

tag
redE2move
Frequent Contributor

Multiple Accts/Statements

If you have multiple bank accounts will the lender request statements from all of them?  If not, which checking account would they most likely require for approval?

5 REPLIES 5
JGGM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Multiple Accts/Statements

When I applied for a mortgage (just two weeks ago) I was told to include two months of bank statements for all accounts. And, since I have money automatically moving from my primary checking at Wells Fargo to other accounts at other institutions, had I just provided my primary checking, the underwriter would have easily realized I had accounts elsewhere. 

Current Score 7-1-21: TU: 812 EX: 805 EQ: 839
Goal Score:ACHIEVED - 800 Across the Board
In My Wallet: Cap1 QS - PenFed Power Cash Rewards - PenFed Promise - AmEx Delta Platinum - DISCO - NFCU Cash Rewards - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 2 of 6
redE2move
Frequent Contributor

I was under the impression that they would need a years worth of statements.  Only 2 months of bank statements works just find.  I'm sure all mortgage lenders vary but do you mind me asking who you applied with?  I just joined NFCU in August with the intent to apply there.  

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I closed on my home with NFCU over the summer.  They only required two months worth of bank statements.  Most banks only require the two months worth of statements.

Message 4 of 6
JGGM
Frequent Contributor

@redE2move wrote:

I was under the impression that they would need a years worth of statements.  Only 2 months of bank statements works just find.  I'm sure all mortgage lenders vary but do you mind me asking who you applied with?  I just joined NFCU in August with the intent to apply there.  

That's who applied with as well. Only two months was required. No special conditions on the approval.....but I am W2 employee with the same employer for almost 4 years, same industry about 8 years. Only reason I could see them asking for a year is if you were self employed. 

Current Score 7-1-21: TU: 812 EX: 805 EQ: 839
Goal Score:ACHIEVED - 800 Across the Board
In My Wallet: Cap1 QS - PenFed Power Cash Rewards - PenFed Promise - AmEx Delta Platinum - DISCO - NFCU Cash Rewards - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your original question was will the lender want to see all of your accounts. That answer is "it depends". Generally, lenders only want to see two months worth of bank statements. If it takes you longer to find a home, or close on the home, they will also ask for updated versions of your documents. 

My husband and I applied jointly for a mortgage, but we only used my account as a reference. His pay is deposited into my account(I bank with NFCU too). Our lender asked to see all of my account information. However, when we signed our contract, the beginning deposit amounts were paid from his account. So we had to show the lender statements for those months to show where that money came from. 

In my experience, if you move money between external accounts, they will ask to see statements for those accounts

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.