cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My $1 Million Mortgage Journey . . . Here We Go!

tag
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: My Mortgage Journey . . . Here We Go!

5/24/16 (10:38AM): What a roller coaster! Fantastic news! My Wells lender just called me and said he believed in our strong incomes, 10 years each in our jobs, 800+ credit scores, financial account balances, especially retirement accounts of a few hundred thousand and what he did because he believed in our profile, he ESCALATED our case to above the 2nd underwriter and went to the 2nd underwriter's boss and pleaded our case and told them about our profile. 

The Wells lender says he was able to convince them and now the bank is behind us. A full commitment letter with conditions as is usual, will be issued for $1 million max purchase price (he said he may have room to go little more but will need to go through underwriting again, I said let's cap it at $1M). 

So he will send us a full commitment letter now. I am back with Wells. This Wells lender went to bat for us and revived our loan with Wells after much much effort. I think a full commitment letter is stronger than a preapproval. Here's a link that discusses the differences between a prequalification vs. preapproval vs. loan commitment letter:

http://mortgageporter.com/2013/05/what-is-the-difference-between-a-preapproval-letter-and-a-loan-com...

Message 51 of 226
Talima719
New Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Any update on the lenders you were planning on following up with today?

^^^^^^

I wasn't going to update this board until more concrete news comes in but since you're asking . . .

1-I currently have a preapproval with Instant Capital (a direct lender) for $1.1 million w/ 10% down. This is after sending them our 2014 & 2015 tax returns, W2s, pay stubs, bank and retirement accounts, pulling a hard inquiry into our credit reports and everything short of a tax transcript which the preapproval letter stated as a contigency that has to happen. Once a purchase contract is in hand they will ask for documents and underwrite.

2-I currently have a prequalification with Capital One Mortgage for $1 million w/ 10% down. They did not request docs but asked the same information aboev verbally, and they pulled our credit report; once a purchase contract is in hand they will ask for documents and underwrite.

3-I am prequalified with SoFi using a softpull and entering information on their website. I called and they said I am qualified for $1.6 million with 10% down, but I said cap it at $1 million w/ 10% down; by the way in the Wall Street Journal today I read SoFi got a AAA rating from some rating agency and the first online lender to do so; my conversations with them over the phone a handful of times always leaves an impression of professionalism and positivism, like they really love their jobs. Unusual to get that cheerful customer service consistently so their culture must be fantastic. Anyway, I asked for a full preapproval review so I uploaded financial docs, pay stubs, W2s, bank and retirement account info, etc at their website so they are now reviewing it so I can have more certainty with my approval status which I prefer to know ahead of time.

4-US bank, I plan to get a preapproval with them too since I am within the 30 day period of credit pulls so it counts as "one"; spoke to the lender this a.m. but he had a busy day and called me earlier this evening to set up an 8:30 a.m. phone call tomorrow to talk. I will aim for a 30-year fixed $1M w/ 10% down and consider their package.

5- Another mortgage broker, Victoria Financial, offers a 10% down on $1M through US Bank but rates are not competitive at 4.6% fixed so it is really high, though they have ARM's and such but I want a 30-yr fixed. I may just get a preapproval and keep them on standby since I am within the 30-day period of credit pulls to count as "one"; my first pull was May 4 or so with Wells.

I am sure I can get the prequalif/pre approvals with the above; it is just a matter of who to go with first to seek a loan approval and hopefully get funded w/o having to go down the line with the other lenders.

On the home shopping, we visited a home twice and liked the curb appeal and size but the interior was dated. The first time we visited they asked $989K. A week later they dropped it to $949K. We visited again last Sunday to look again, to make sure we were interested. In 2001 it sold for $500k and there were no renovations since so it's dated. Anyway, our broker just sent in an offer of $820k. At first we were going to do $850k, but the wife wanted to send in $820k so we did. The broker included a preapproval letter from Instant Capital which we asked to revise the Purchase Price down from $1 million to $850,000, our credit scores, our pre approval letter, and some snapshots of the accounts from which the downpayment will come from. I don't expect an acceptance, but seeing what happens.

So bottom line, I got 1 preapproval in hand, 1 prequalif in hand, and working on SoFi, US Bank, and just because Victoria Financial for more preapprovals as backups, which I am confident they will proviode for 10% down on $1M as my discussions with them are positive. So US Bank and Capital One are the only large commercial banks in the mix for the product I want.

5/23/16 (10:19 p.m.): This is the seller's reponse to our $820K offer above, hot off the press verbatim:

--------

We truly appreciate your clients offer
I met them during the open house and they are very nice people
Their offer is way to low and I don't think that seller will even consider responding
This is over $120,000 under asking price 
I will understand if you send offer at $920,000 so we can negotiate, but not with this price
And yes, this is high end area, HOA is very low, only $160/month
The house truly need only new appliances which we are in negotiation with the sellers to install
If you think that your family can go over $900,000 then it does worth negotiations
I see that approval is under $900,000 as well
Please advise
------

The asking price is $949k, was $989k.

That preapproval letter shows $850k, which the seller's agent is right is under $900k, but we also have a preapproval up to $1M - 1.1M also but I asked our broker we'll just wait and keep looking and see what happens with this $949k home.

That's a smart strategy.  Is it something known and allowed to do?  This is the first that I heard of that when it came to putting in a offer and essentially leading the sellers to believe what your ceiling is.

Anyway, congrats with Wells.  Keep the updates coming.

Message 52 of 226
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

That's a smart strategy.  Is it something known and allowed to do?  This is the first that I heard of that when it came to putting in a offer and essentially leading the sellers to believe what your ceiling is.

^^^^^^^^

My lender would advise me not to use the $1 million purchase preapproval but to get another letter from my lender if the offer is lower to not tip your hand. I think it is a good negotiating strategy to not overpay, if I wanted I can get a preapproval for $910,000 and say this is what I can muster from my lender, do you want to sell for $910K? (Even though I know I can go higher to $1 million). Since $920 and 910 are not too far off they may very well accept as the home has been in the market for 30+ days..I think they are overpricing a bit based on not selling after 30 days. Maybe I'll offer $850K in a few weeks if it is still around and we are still interested. In the meatine, continue looking...

Message 53 of 226
Talima719
New Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

^^^^^^^^

My lender would advise me not to use the $1 million purchase preapproval but to get another letter from my lender if the offer is lower to not tip your hand. I think it is a good negotiating strategy to not overpay, if I wanted I can get a preapproval for $910,000 and say this is what I can muster from my lender, do you want to sell for $910K? (Even though I know I can go higher to $1 million). Since $920 and 910 are not too far off they may very well accept as the home has been in the market for 30+ days..I think they are overpricing a bit based on not selling after 30 days. Maybe I'll offer $850K in a few weeks if it is still around and we are still interested. In the meatine, continue looking...

Nice! I would use that strategy when my times comes.  The fact that they're only offering to replace some appliances and the house is dated is funny to me. Hopefully if you move forward at a good negotiated price, you can use the savings for renovations.

Message 54 of 226
Anonymous
Not applicable

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Any update on the lenders you were planning on following up with today?

^^^^^^

I wasn't going to update this board until more concrete news comes in but since you're asking . . .

1-I currently have a preapproval with Instant Capital (a direct lender) for $1.1 million w/ 10% down. This is after sending them our 2014 & 2015 tax returns, W2s, pay stubs, bank and retirement accounts, pulling a hard inquiry into our credit reports and everything short of a tax transcript which the preapproval letter stated as a contigency that has to happen. Once a purchase contract is in hand they will ask for documents and underwrite.

2-I currently have a prequalification with Capital One Mortgage for $1 million w/ 10% down. They did not request docs but asked the same information aboev verbally, and they pulled our credit report; once a purchase contract is in hand they will ask for documents and underwrite.

3-I am prequalified with SoFi using a softpull and entering information on their website. I called and they said I am qualified for $1.6 million with 10% down, but I said cap it at $1 million w/ 10% down; by the way in the Wall Street Journal today I read SoFi got a AAA rating from some rating agency and the first online lender to do so; my conversations with them over the phone a handful of times always leaves an impression of professionalism and positivism, like they really love their jobs. Unusual to get that cheerful customer service consistently so their culture must be fantastic. Anyway, I asked for a full preapproval review so I uploaded financial docs, pay stubs, W2s, bank and retirement account info, etc at their website so they are now reviewing it so I can have more certainty with my approval status which I prefer to know ahead of time.

4-US bank, I plan to get a preapproval with them too since I am within the 30 day period of credit pulls so it counts as "one"; spoke to the lender this a.m. but he had a busy day and called me earlier this evening to set up an 8:30 a.m. phone call tomorrow to talk. I will aim for a 30-year fixed $1M w/ 10% down and consider their package.

5- Another mortgage broker, Victoria Financial, offers a 10% down on $1M through US Bank but rates are not competitive at 4.6% fixed so it is really high, though they have ARM's and such but I want a 30-yr fixed. I may just get a preapproval and keep them on standby since I am within the 30-day period of credit pulls to count as "one"; my first pull was May 4 or so with Wells.

I am sure I can get the prequalif/pre approvals with the above; it is just a matter of who to go with first to seek a loan approval and hopefully get funded w/o having to go down the line with the other lenders.

On the home shopping, we visited a home twice and liked the curb appeal and size but the interior was dated. The first time we visited they asked $989K. A week later they dropped it to $949K. We visited again last Sunday to look again, to make sure we were interested. In 2001 it sold for $500k and there were no renovations since so it's dated. Anyway, our broker just sent in an offer of $820k. At first we were going to do $850k, but the wife wanted to send in $820k so we did. The broker included a preapproval letter from Instant Capital which we asked to revise the Purchase Price down from $1 million to $850,000, our credit scores, our pre approval letter, and some snapshots of the accounts from which the downpayment will come from. I don't expect an acceptance, but seeing what happens.

So bottom line, I got 1 preapproval in hand, 1 prequalif in hand, and working on SoFi, US Bank, and just because Victoria Financial for more preapprovals as backups, which I am confident they will proviode for 10% down on $1M as my discussions with them are positive. So US Bank and Capital One are the only large commercial banks in the mix for the product I want.

5/23/16 (10:19 p.m.): This is the seller's reponse to our $820K offer above, hot off the press verbatim:

--------

We truly appreciate your clients offer
I met them during the open house and they are very nice people
Their offer is way to low and I don't think that seller will even consider responding
This is over $120,000 under asking price 
I will understand if you send offer at $920,000 so we can negotiate, but not with this price
And yes, this is high end area, HOA is very low, only $160/month
The house truly need only new appliances which we are in negotiation with the sellers to install
If you think that your family can go over $900,000 then it does worth negotiations
I see that approval is under $900,000 as well
Please advise
------

The asking price is $949k, was $989k.

That preapproval letter shows $850k, which the seller's agent is right is under $900k, but we also have a preapproval up to $1M - 1.1M also but I asked our broker we'll just wait and keep looking and see what happens with this $949k home.

Wow... Pretty neat.  Looks like you have several options now.  Very good to see...

Message 55 of 226
Anonymous
Not applicable

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

5/24/16 (10:18am): Spent time on the phone with US Bank lender and emailed financial docs, gave employment info, years in industry, etc. US Bank lender pulled our credit reports (will use 806 as the lower of the our middle scores). The US Bank lender says it will submit to underwriting for a Full Underwriting for $1M purchase price w/ 10% down and we should be receiving a package via UPS with a "notice to proceed" which I asked, don't we need an address for a home we will buy for that, he said it's to be determined. So anyway, we need to sign those docs and send it back to him.  This looks like a full underwriting like I did with Wells which rejected us, so it'll be interesting to see what US Bank does. A difference here is that the US Bank lender just wanted those finacial accounts needed to approve us, whereas with Wells I sent ALL financial accounts without being asked for full disclosure, even those with zero and minimum balances so maybe that's why Wells asked why we don't have more in savings. The US Bank lender just wanted enough accout info. that will get us approved. He seemed confident we could qualify. I asked for a new preapproval letter reflecting a fixed 30-year with $1M purch. price. He said he'll send it. So let's see what US Banks' full underwriting does with my loan request.

This is good since you are in the drivers seat now with all these offers---  Keep us posted.

Message 56 of 226
Anonymous
Not applicable

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

5/24/16 (10:38AM): What a roller coaster! Fantastic news! My Wells lender just called me and said he believed in our strong incomes, 10 years each in our jobs, 800+ credit scores, financial account balances, especially retirement accounts of a few hundred thousand and what he did because he believed in our profile, he ESCALATED our case to above the 2nd underwriter and went to the 2nd underwriter's boss and pleaded our case and told them about our profile. 

The Wells lender says he was able to convince them and now the bank is behind us. A full commitment letter with conditions as is usual, will be issued for $1 million max purchase price (he said he may have room to go little more but will need to go through underwriting again, I said let's cap it at $1M). 

So he will send us a full commitment letter now. I am back with Wells. This Wells lender went to bat for us and revived our loan with Wells after much much effort. I think a full commitment letter is stronger than a preapproval. Here's a link that discusses the differences between a prequalification vs. preapproval vs. loan commitment letter:

http://mortgageporter.com/2013/05/what-is-the-difference-between-a-preapproval-letter-and-a-loan-com...

Ooops.. I guess i should have read this firstSmiley Happy.. This is good news as they came through for you.  I hope there are no other surprises.. Keep us posted as things move along.

Message 57 of 226
Anonymous
Not applicable

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

Which credit score will be used? Will the lender use your wife's middle score since it's the lower of the two middle scores?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, lower middle score of the two was used, 799.

Capital One ran our credit reports yesterday, my Equifax was 816 and wife was 806, both equifax, so the lower of the two middle scores of 806 was used by Capital One for a pre-approval.

Okay, that's good to know.

I had someone at Bank of America tell me that who ever had the highest income between my wife and I, their middle score would be used.

^^^^

No it's lowest middle score between you and your spouse regardless of income.

Update:

I was told by a LO at Chase Bank that they will always use the applicant with the highest of the two middle scores.

Edit:

This seems to be Lender specific.

Message 58 of 226
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Update:

I was told by a LO at Chase Bank that they will always use the applicant with the highest of the two middle scores.

Edit:

This seems to be Lender specific.

^^^^

Acknowledged. Good to know. At least it is still the middle score, whether highest or lowest.

Message 59 of 226
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

5/24/16 (4:07PM): My Wells lender sent me this email:

"Attached is your “underwritten” approval for a purchase price of 1 mil with 10.01% down.  CONGRATS!!!   I am very happy to give you this news!! 

Please read through it and let me know if you have any questions on any of the items.  I also read through it and the conditions seem very easy to fulfill.

Have a wonderful day!!"

This "underwritten" approval is the highest approval Wells can provide to potential borrowers.

It states:

--------------

Congratulations! We're happy to let you know that you've been credit approved for a mortgage in the amount of $899,900!

Purchase Price: $1,000,000 

Loan amount: $899,900

Expires: 8/31/2016

Loan purpose: Purchase

Occupancy: Primary residence

Property type: Single family

Interest: 3.875% (not locked)

Loan type: Conventional

Loan product: Fixed rate mortgage

LTV/CLTV/TLTV: 89.99%/89.99%/89.99%

Loan term: 30 years 0 months

Interest only months: 0 

Monthly amount for principal, interest, and any mortgage insurance: $4,231.67

This credit approval  means:

• You've filled out a mortgage
  • We've checked your credit and you've been credit
  • You've provided information and documentation like W-2s, pay stubs, and bank
  • An underwriter has reviewed all of your information and made an initial decision on your application
  • You've received our highest standard of credit approval to help you shop for a home

---------------

The conditions relate to being able to use as Reserves reitrement funds, which I can and the home being appraised, hazard insurance, and other home related documents.

I am still keeping the other four lenders on standby in case Wells falls through; I did let them know that they are one of a few I am getting estimates from and not leading them on. But should be ok since our file will only get stronger as we will minimize spending, save more cash for closing, and keep our credit files excellent as we have so far, plus the current file has gone through a few underwriters at different levels at Wells with this "underwritten" credit approval letter as the prize.

Message 60 of 226
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.