cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My $1 Million Mortgage Journey . . . Here We Go!

tag
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

My $1 Million Mortgage Journey . . . Here We Go!

My Mortgage Journey really began in Nov 1991 by establishing credit at age 18 with a green American Express card as a college student; making every payment on time always, never missed a payment and never late on a payment for 25 straight years. Completing a bachelors and a couple of master's degrees allowed me to generate a stable income stream. Likewise for the wife, having a master's in nursing helped her earn $80+ an hour as a nurse practitioner, and paying her bills responsibly she too had great credit scores. We married, I managed the finances, I ensured we paid off her student loans as mine were paid off already, until as a couple we had zero debt, with as much savings as possible, including retirement funds being maxed out each year. Fast forward today we both have a perfect track record of on time payments with 800+ scores pretty much across the board. We have set ourselves up to app for our first mortgage. See my signature line for mortgage scores; wife's is comparable or higher than mine.

May 2015: Asked mortgage lender at Wells Fargo some questions on apping and also started to focus on paying down wife's student loan remaining balance of approx. $15,000 and original balance was approx. $40,000.

Dec 2015: Paid off wife's student loans. Completely debt free of any kind and we pay in full all credit card charges each month.

Jan 2016 - Present: Continue focus on saving . . .continue monitoring credit report to clean up anything (if needed)

April 27, 2016: emailed and called various mortgage bankers, banks, and credit unions about availability of 10% down jumbos on a $1M purchase price. The results of contacting 15 different lenders is here in this matrix: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UvCPic8ZnVvvByOuz_NPDabmw7av1ME9tQLGhJaWjik/edit#gid=7600425...

As it turn out only Wells Fargo and US Bank had a 10% down on a $1M purchase price for big banks. Wells offered 3.875% for a 30-year fixed with no PMI. US Bank offered a couple of options, 10% down on $1M purchase price like Wells but with LPMI and a rate of 4.375% over 30 years or a 80/10/10 (piggyback or 1st/2nd mortgage product) with $800K on the 1st mortgage at 3.625% and $100K on the HELOC (2nd mortgage) at 4.5%. I asked for a lower rate for the 30-year fixed but US bank said "Unfortunately the rate is set, and with today's market rates could climb. I can only offer the lower rate with option 1 (80/10/10)." 

US Bank pushed for the 80/10/10 product with a follow up email when I asked if I have a higher down payment can the rate drop to between 3.5%-4.0%, the reply was: "I feel that your best option would be the 80/10/10;  Especially if you are wanting to bring more money here in the near future.  This would be a benefit to pay down in full the line of credit.  When you have a zero balance on the line of credit, you have easy access to funds for any type of emergency that can arise to your home or if an investment appears down the road you can quick access these funds.  The other point to this; is the fact that you would have a 3.625% on a 30 year fix on the first mortgage.  Please let me know your thoughts..  Thank you"

May 2, 2016: I received confirmation from Chase that a 10% down is not offered on a purchase prices exceeding $625,500 so I am left with Wells Fargo or US Bank. I emailed Wells Fargo today to notify the lender, same one I reached out to in May 2015 that I'm ready to take the next steps in the mortgage application process to obtain from Wells what he referred to as a full commitment from Wells, specifically the Wells lender said " I’d like to submit your loan to underwriting for a full approval commitment letter so you have a little easier time getting your offer accepted." The Wells lender has been super fast answering emails (we spoke on the phone initially), answering emails on weekends, replying same day. He replied today and sent me an email link to start the application process, which I will do tonight and probably start uploading documents. These are the documents the Wells Fargo website is requesting I have available (as applicable):

Your Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Online Application Details Guide
Be sure to have the following information on hand for both borrower and co-borrower. You’ll need this specific information to fill out your application accurately. Personal information
  • Full legal name, Social Security number, and birthdate
  • Phone number, email address, and current and former residential and mailing addresses over the last 2 years
Employment and income information
  • Name, addresses, and phone numbers of all employers over the last 2 years
  • Salary information, including base salary, overtime, commissions, tips and gratuities, as well as any other income from self-employment, dividends and interest, retirement accounts, alimony, child support, etc.

Tip: Have your most recent paystubs handy so you can enter accurate information. You will have to enter separately each of the items listed.

Property information
  • If purchasing: address of property being purchased, year built, estimated down payment amount, and purchase price (if known)
  • If refinancing: address of property being refinanced and year purchased
  • Estimates of annual property taxes, homeowners insurance, and any homeowner association dues
Assets and liabilities
  • Balance and account numbers of bank and other asset accounts, including:
    • Checking and savings
    • Money market and CD
    • Mutual funds, stocks, and bonds
    • Pension and retirement (401K)
    • Business net worth if applicable

Tip: Have your most recent statements handy for these accounts so you can enter accurate asset balances.

• List of monthly obligations, including alimony, child support, etc.
  • Information about any additional real estate assets you own, including property addresses, monthly payments, taxes, insurance, and rents
Other
  • Servicemember information, if you’re applying for a VA loan

Message 1 of 226
225 REPLIES 225
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Mortgage Journey . . . Here We Go!

Wow.. Amazing.. I will be following as I have seen your earlier posts in getting ready for this.  

Message 2 of 226
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

5/2/16: Submitted Wells Fargo Mortgage Application online. It was not the Uniform Residential Loan application but Wells Fargo's own online application asking for employment history, number of years in industry, listing of all checking, savings, and retirement accounts,etc.

I received a Confirmation screen after submission:

----------

Thank you for submitting your application.

Here’s what we’ll do next
  • Review your application
  • Contact you if we have any questions or require additional information
  • Send a disclosure package with a copy of your application
Please feel free to reach out to your home mortgage consultant if you have any questions.

Status: Your Wells Fargo Home Mortgage application has been submitted.
----------

9:44PM: Wells Fargo Lender emails "It came thru. I will review tmrw and let you know the next steps."

I'm happy with Wells so far, lender is responsive via email even this late at night and Wells has an online portal where I can see the steps in the process until close and allows me to upload documents, etc. Seamless and straightforward so far as a first time home buyer. During the online application process I emailed the lender when I was not sure how to answer a question and he responded via email in a few minutes in the evening.

At the online Wells portal there are different tabs for each step in the process, as follows to give my readers who plan to app what ganerally happens at each stage:

Complete your application:

Complete application

Application details completed

Conditionally approved

Complete your application by providing essential information to your home mortgage consultant.

Once your application is complete, your home mortgage consultant will let you know if you have a conditional approval which is based on meeting certain conditions and verification of your information.

Financial and property review:

Property appraisal received

Property approved

Loan Approved

During the Financial and Property Review, we will review your application and order any required services.

After receiving and reviewing all the necessary documentation for your application, we will notify you of the application decision.

Prepare to close:

Closing cost estimate

Title completed

Insurance verified

Once your application is approved, we will work with you and your closing agent to schedule your closing date and review the title report. We also require homeowners insurance to close your loan.

Your closing agent will provide your final closing figures so you can obtain a cashier's check for your closing costs (and down payment, if buying a home).

At closing:

Closing date confirmed

Documents ready

Documents signed

Plan to get a cashier's check for the amount, if any, you will need to bring to the closing. Once available, we will send the closing documents to your closing agent. At your closing, your agent will make sure all the documents are reviewed, signed and dated correctly.

Manage your account:

Loan closing completed

Account available online

After your closing is completed, we will set up your mortgage account (usually within two weeks). Once set up, you can manage your account simply and securely through Wells Fargo Online.

If you're already a Wells Fargo Online customer, your mortgage account will automatically be available online. Otherwise, you can sign up for easy access at www.wellsfargo.com

Message 3 of 226
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

I am having bit confusion about it, please clarify my confusion.

Message 4 of 226
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck bud, hopefully your own mortgage adventure doesn't turn into an 11 page boondoggle like my journey post did Smiley Happy

        
Message 5 of 226
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey,

I am having bit confusion about it, please clarify my confusion.

Confusion about what?  Can you be more specific so that OP can clarify whatever your confusion is?

Message 6 of 226
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

5/3/16: Wells Fargo ran my credit score. Came back as 809 with Equifax. Wife's came back as 799 using Equifax.

This matches what I ran from myFICO on 4/30/16:

Mortgage Credit Scores from myFico 3B Credit Reports (As of 4/30/16):

HUSBAND:

Mortgage Score 4: 796 – Transunion

Mortgage Score 5: 809 – Equifax

Mortgage Score 2: 809 - Experian

WIFE:

Mortgage Score 4: 798 – Transunion

Mortgage Score 5: 799 – Equifax

Mortgage Score 2: 812 - Experian

Message 7 of 226
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

5/3/16: Looks like I have a lot of bank statements, retirement account statements and other financial docs to upload at the Wells website with a due date of May 7 (Saturday).

Received a PriorityBuyer pre-approval letter for $1,000,000 purchase price via email.

Lender wants to perform full commitment, so I will be uploading documents to undergo underwriting.

We were asked to sign a form allowing a credit check. We were also asked to sign an IRS form to grant Wells permission to gather tax transcripts data on past filings.

I just received this email from the Wells lender in the meantime:

---------------------

The application came over perfectly completed.  Thank you very much for that.  I have gone through everything you had on the application and everything looks fantastic and in good order.  Credit scores were in the 800’s.    I had to call your wife to clear the fraud alert on her credit.

I have attached an approval letter for a purchase price of 1mil with 10% down.  I would still like to have your loan approved by underwriting as we are able to get a “commitment” letter and it will speed the process up when you are in contract.

A couple questions:

1)      Are you paying anything currently for rent?  Who is your landlord – need name and number

2)      Do either of you belong to a union – if so which one(s)

In order to submit this to an underwriter I will need this from both of you:

1)      Most recent 1 months paystubs

2)      2014 & 2015 W2’s

3)      Most recent 2 months bank statements

4)      Most recent 2 months or quarterly retirement accounts

5)      Please sign the attached disclosures

I believe that is it for now.  Please let me know what questions you have and I will address them promptly.

Have a wonderful day!

Message 8 of 226
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

5/4/16: Gathering financial docs (W2's, pay stubs, retirement accounts, bank account statements) lender is requesting with a Saturday deadline, will email to him Friday morning. Lender provided pre-approval but wants to submit our file to underwriting to get a firmer commitment from Wells so when we app for a loan it'll be more smoother at that time for us. At first I thought I had to upload documents to the Wells website portal for my mortgage app, but the lender said to send it directly to him instead since he can review it beforehand because once docs are uploaded to the Wells portal there is no way of retrieving it back.

At the same time, asked my brother last night who has a real estate broker license (does it part time) if he's interested in representing us as buyers. Gave him a wish list of what we are looking for (i.e. 3 bedroom, 2 baths, 2-car garage, etc.) and possible neighborhoods. So will start to look more seriously next week.

It's only been a week since I started researching the 15 different lenders on April 27, and already have pre-approval in hand. Things can move fast. For the past few months I gathered and saved electronically various financial files, so planning ahead for what's needed by the lender and staying organized helped a lot. 

Message 9 of 226
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

5/6/16 (6AM): Emailed Wells Lender all financial documents requested (bank statements, W2's, paystubs, retirement accounts, plus the signed consent for tax transcripts and credit checks) so he can review and then submit to underwriting for a firmer approval to make the closing process easier down the road.

My real estate broker signed us up for Multiple Listing Service (MLS) wherein he enters our search criteria (i.e. neighborhood, number of bedrooms, bathrooms, etc) and when a new listing that meets our criteria comes on the market, we receive emails with a link to these properties.

I've asked him to set aside May 15 (Sunday) to show us some homes to get a feel for the home searching process and tour prospective houses.

5/6/16 (12PM): Later in the day after sending my Wells lender all of my financial statements to show proof of funds he emails me back:

Everything you sent was perfect! Absolutely fantastic!!

I have attached the union plus form to be completed by you and your union rep.  no hurries on this, but I just wanted to get it to you so I didn’t forget.

I have submitted your loan to underwriting for a full underwritten approval.  It will first go to my processor to review everything and then submitted to underwriting for the official commitment letter.

Please let me know if you have any questions at any time… in the meantime you have the preapproval letter I sent you to get things moving if you find a home while we are waiting on the approval from underwriting.

Have a wonderful weekend and good luck on your house hunting!

Message 10 of 226
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.