Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Buying Story

tag
maryellis1981
Valued Member

My Buying Story

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of buying a second home 3.5 years after my short sale. I thought it might be helpful to post the adventure on here so that those of you who are going through or have gone through a short sale and are buying again can share experiences and advice.  Here is a quick background on my situation:

Sold first home via short sale due to my divorce in Nov 2010.  I agreed to payback a $10k promissory note at 0% interest for the next 5 years.  I have paid on this monthly since Jan 2011.

Credit was spotless and tanked to about a 620 credit score.  Inbetween 2010-2012 I paid off credit cards and was able to get my credit score up into the low 700's.

Bought current home in Nov 2012 with 20% down-payment, credit in the low 700's.

Currently, signed offer to sell current home making a little money off of it. Bought in Nov 2012 for $213k and selling for $225k.    Signed offer to purchase bigger home in nicer area for $332k but only putting down 10%.  Credit is in the 720's.

I do have a preapproval from my mortgage company.  I am using the same company and loan officer that I used to close on my current home so he is aware of my short sale and that situation.  He believes everything should go through but of course there is always a chance that the underwriter will deny the loan.  I am hoping that good standing on my current mortgage will be a positive.

Anyone else buying a second time around following a short sale?  Is it easier or more difficult?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
maryellis1981
Valued Member

Re: My Buying Story

I should of added that I am scheduled to close on both selling and buying on June 27th.

Message 2 of 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: My Buying Story

I am buying a new home one year after a ch7 bankruptcy and four yers after a foreclosure. My new house is being built and will be done in early June. Of course it is much harder now than it was back then. The mortgage industry is not what it used to be. Mortgage product variations are few and underwriting standards are tougher than ever.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.