cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My FICOs are stuck in the 670's, HELP!!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My FICOs are stuck in the 670's, HELP!!!!!!

@Short-lady wrote:

Hi,

i just got approved for a Chase Freedom... so if you get the 7-10 day message.. Call and recon...  My limited started out at 2k, also if you have any family members that have a account at  Navy Federal Credit Union, see if you can join thru them.  They are great credit union and give nice credit limits on credit cards.

I was approved over the phone with only a $400 credit limit..... ugh!!!! I was hoping for at least $1000 but I went ahead and accepted. 

Should I call back and do a recon on my credit limit?

Message 11 of 17
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Yes, do the recon for the credit limit. All they can say is no.

Now apply for a Walmart card. You will get a free TU score every month.

With the Cap1 card...Was that a secured card? Why didn't you get a credit line increase in the past 9 years?

Cap1 is REALLY bad that way, but I can't beleive they haven't given you ANY increase in 9 years!

After you apply for the Walmart card I would also call Cap1 and ask for a credit line increase. They are also known to tell customers that CLI can't be initiated by customers. Make sure you ask them why they haven't given you a CLI for the past 9 years.

Now, make sure you do this in the future! Every 6 months call for a credit line increase on ALL your cards!

Keep us posted, I am very curious as to how this turns out for you and what Cap1 has to say.

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 12 of 17
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Even if they don't up the limit, keep the card open and active - Only let ONE of your cards report a balance every month. You can use your cards, but be sure to pay them accordingly 3-5 days before the STATEMENT date. Also, you might have to make 2 payments a month, bc you have to pay by the due date. To get a CLI on Chase and your other cards, use them and pay in full every month. Come back and let us know how many points you get when the new chase hits! Congrats!
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamie123 wrote:

With the Cap1 card...Was that a secured card? Why didn't you get a credit line increase in the past 9 years?

Cap1 is REALLY bad that way, but I can't beleive they haven't given you ANY increase in 9 years!

After you apply for the Walmart card I would also call Cap1 and ask for a credit line increase. They are also known to tell customers that CLI can't be initiated by customers. Make sure you ask them why they haven't given you a CLI for the past 9 years.

Now, make sure you do this in the future! Every 6 months call for a credit line increase on ALL your cards!

Keep us posted, I am very curious as to how this turns out for you and what Cap1 has to say.

Good luck!

Thanks!  I am going to call both Cap1 and Chase tonight and have them recon my credit limit.

That Capital One card is just a standard low credit limit card I got in college - not secured.

I have called once or twice within the last couple years and requested for a CL increase (entirely automated) and the system denied the request both times.

I'm hoping for better luck when I speak to a real Capital One Rep.

Can I ask why I should apply for a Walmart Card as well? Do I really need 3 total Credit Cards? (I have access to all my credit scores/info from USAA Credit Monitoring service)

Message 14 of 17
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

Good luck!

Thanks!  I am going to call both Cap1 and Chase tonight and have them recon my credit limit.

That Capital One card is just a standard low credit limit card I got in college - not secured.

I have called once or twice within the last couple years and requested for a CL increase (entirely automated) and the system denied the request both times.

Can I ask why I should apply for a Walmart Card as well? Do I really need 3 total Credit Cards? (I have access to all my credit scores/info from USAA Credit Monitoring service)

Well, the Walmart card provides an actual FICO score. The USAA provides FAKO scores.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: So I called Chase and had them do a recon on my new  Chase 'Freedom' Card - after speaking with one of the CSRs she was able to put in a automated request to get my credit limit bumped up from 400 to 700, but I wanted more. She agreed to connect me to one of their lending reps who reviewed my credit history (and proceeded to chastise me for a $395 highest balance on my $300 limit Capital One card, even though this happened in 2008!) and after reviewing my account and getting some approvals he agreed to increase my CL to $1000. I was pretty pumped.

I also called Capital One regarding my current credit card and didn't have as much luck, simply because they couldn't (or wouldn't) connect me to someone who could review my account for a CL increase, but they did say my income on file was only $1200 a month! This was from when I was interning in college and I make much more now, so they gave me the address to mail my new income figures and said this would significantly improve my chances of a CL increase once the new income was updated. Hopefully in the next month or two I'll be approved for a higher CL.

Message 16 of 17
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@rckstrscott wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

Good luck!

Well, the Walmart card provides an actual FICO score. The USAA provides FAKO scores.

-scott

+1

Personaly, I would go for the amex Zync, that wasy you can start AAoA w/ Amex.  but that's just me

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.