Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My New Construction Journey

tag
OnOurWayHome
Established Member

Re: Update: Timeline Change

Yes, it will be happening for you soon as well. And you just gave me an awesome idea.  As soon as I finish writing this post I'm off to find a countdown app...lol 

Message 11 of 14
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

HAHA I got a widget not an app (if you have an android) it can sit there counting down I don't have to click it to see it.  

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 12 of 14
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Today is actually nearly a year since we closed on our house...and it was new construction.  They started building it in March of last year, finished in early June.  The wait in terms of the house being built wasn't a big deal - there seemed to be progress throughout the first couple of months...once the siding was on, and the bulk of the work outside was done, then it slowed a bit, but we walked into the house whenever we wanted to until they began to lock the doors. 

The worst part was the mortage stuff.  We had no late payments, chargeoffs or anything else that needed explanation, but we had a shortage of available cash as we moved our purchase date up by at least 6 months because of interest rates and some rule changes for FHA that were going into effect. We had paid off a signifcant amount of credit card debt, and put a down payment on a car within a few months of applying for our loan.... Our loan officer was an older woman that hated computers, and was rather lazy...so getting her to do anything was a hassle, and whenever we asked her any question, she acted as though we were panicking and needed to relax.  She made the entire process a nightmare - she was terrible at her job, and made the waiting difficult. 

We closed in the conference room of our mortgage company, and our loan officer wandered it at one point and said "See? Everything worked out. It was easy." And then she said "Well, parts of it weren't easy, but i got it done."  And I said "yeah, well, that's what you get paid for.."  She wasn't happy with that remark, and wandered back out of the room. lol. 

Message 13 of 14
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Stay in contact with your project manager.  He or she is going to be able to give you updates as to exactly where in the process your house is most of the time.  There should be a checklist or some sort of milestone worksheet your builder can give you.  It's tough to wait...when most people don't have much more than a 4 or 6 week wait when they buy an existing house from application to moving date, but it's worth it. 

In our case, the builder came in for the 10 month inspection back in April, we had a long list of things that needed to be fixed (nothing major - stuff like a small drywall repair around the breakfast bar, one of the cabinet doors was warped and didn't sit flush on the cabinet when closed - they ordered a new one), and they went above and beyond to fix little things that they noticed that we did not. 

The worst part of buying a new construction home is that the lawn has to be grown from seed...and our backyard didn't come in very well.  It was really hot and dry when we moved in, adn we just didn't get enough water on it early in the process.  On the other hand, we're going to be putting a deck and an inground pool in back there within 3 or 4 years, so there's not a huge need to get the grass perfect quite yet.  Would just be a waste of money. 

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.