Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Situation, Want to buy bigger home

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Situation, Want to buy bigger home

Greetings all! I am looking to sell my townhome in order to purchase a larger place. I currently owe $192k. Similar units in my development are going for $165k-$185k. I have not received an appraisal, but we have put significant money into upgrades. My buddy works for Wells Fargo and says my home is worth about $178k based on his valuation report.

My problem is trying to determine the best way to cover my negative equity. Worst case scenario I would need to come up with $20k-30k to make up the difference. My FICOs are 720+ and I have $0 CC debt. Total DTI is about 40% (student loans, car payments, and a $5k personal loan). Unfortunately, I don't have any extra cash to work with right now. I understand it is not possible to roll neg equity into a new house like one would for an automobile. It appears my only options are:

- 125% Mortgage
- LOC
- Personal Loan
- Short Share (doubt I would do this as my credit would be destroyed)

Opinions?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Situation, Want to buy bigger home

Have you talked to your lender? If they are upside down on the present house perhaps they can do a short sale, make the new loan and roll the shortage into the new loan, all without hurting your credit. It makes sense for them. I would contact the bank president's office and ask.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not just stay until you pay some things down.  You should call a Realtor to do a CMA.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're honestly best off staying put until the market picks up.

Unless, you can rent out your current place for more than the mortgage payment, then you could concievably buy a new home and keep the other.  Risky, but doable.

A 125% mortgage is a refi-only product, you can't do it when you purchase a home to roll negative equity.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.