cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My USDA loan and the looming government shutdown

tag
crafty35a

My USDA loan and the looming government shutdown

Help! I'm about to go crazy due to my USDA guaranteed approval loan running up against two Monday deadlines. First of all, my area is scheduled to lose eligibility after 9/30. I understand that current eligibility rules will be in effect for all "complete applications" submitted by 9/30, but I'm concerned that the USDA will respond to us after the deadline and say "sorry, we need X and Y, so your application was incomplete and is now in-eligible under the new guidelines."

Making matters worse is the government shutdown that is looking more and more likely to happen after Monday! My loan was actually submitted to the USDA on 9/19. We heard back from them yesterday, 9/27. They said they were suspending the application due to a credit card account that my mother has, on which I am listed as an authorized user. As it turns out, that account had been closed after my credit was pulled by my lender, so we were able to submit poroof of that within a couple hours. I was really hoping to hear back from the USDA again the same day, but no such luck.

So now we're playing the waiting game again, and I am extremely concerned about what will happen if I don't get USDA approval on Monday. Can anyone help ease my concerns? A couple specific questions - when you need to re-submit more information to the USDA, do they typically reconsider your application right away, or do you have to wait in line again? Also, does anyone know how the possible government shutdown will affect the USDA? Per our purchase & sale contract, we are obligated to have a loan commitment by the end of next week, so if the USDA shuts down before I get approval, the entire deal could fall through.

Thanks for reading!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
crafty35a

Re: My USDA loan and the looming government shutdown

We are clear to close! Thankfully we got our approval from the USDA early this morning, and our loan officer is trying to arrange closing for later today to avoid any complications in case the government does shut down. Fingers crossed!

Message 2 of 16
cookiebird
Frequent Contributor

Yay for you!  USDA has my file now and we are 2 weeks behind here so with no shutdown they won't get to my file until the 8th with our closing scheduled for the 10th.  I am a nervous wreck about the shutdown and the new eligibility areas.

last app 11/13/2013 gardening for at least a year
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fingers crossed. In the event of a government shutdown (read this yesterday) all FHA, VA and USDA Loans will be placed on hold 10-01-13.
Message 4 of 16
armywifelong
Established Member

I actually read yesterday on va.gov (we are going through VA loan processing now) that home loan processing will not be impacted by the shutdown.  I am not sure about other parts of government backed housing.  I posted the link in another thread.

Message 5 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 6 of 16
crafty35a

It looks like our closing is likely to be pushed back to Thursday, since t he seller can't be here until then. Does anyone know for sure if our closing would be affected at all if the government does shut down? I'm hoping we are fine since we already have USDA approval...

Message 7 of 16
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

If you've already cleared USDA the shutdown shouldn't affect you. The lender has to re-submit the file to USDA after closing to get the guarentees signed off on, but that shouldn't have anything to do with you. 

I think you're good to go! Congrats!

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 8 of 16
AFA

I'm currently in the same process as you guys in Florida, my file was turned over USDA on Sept 2 and they are over a month behind. Furthermore, making matters worse is the government shutdown that just happened. How will this affect all of us?????

Message 9 of 16
Amc1502
New Visitor

Our loan was submitted to the USDA on Thursday , our closing is set for mon the 7 th, we are getting a USDA gurenteed loan and now our loan is stuck at the USDA until this goverment shutdown is over !! Very worried I'm in mass
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.