cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My VA loan

tag
docrod82

My VA loan

Well here is my situation. I am trying to apply for a VA loan in California (community property state). In November I got pre approved on the automated UW for 175k I started the process of looking for a home only to be told that it fell thru in underwriting. I am married and my wife had aDOE loan witch had been sent to collection. We have now been doing the rehab program and have made 6 payments. My question is should I try again or wait till we are done with the rehab program.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My VA loan

Welcome!

Was the denial due to the score or was is due to the collection? 6-months' time probably wouldn't move the score too much. But also lenders have their own rules on how recent a baddie can be.

Message 2 of 9
paulbrapp
New Contributor

It was probably denied due to DOE being in default.  You can not owe or be in default to the gov't by any means to use the VA loan.

Message 3 of 9
paulbrapp
New Contributor

Anything thing to consider is contacting the Ombudsman for the DOE loans.  I was able to have them remove (4) 120day lates from my student loans.

Here is the link:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/disputes/prepare/contact-ombudsman

Message 4 of 9
christian9144
Valued Member

You may have to apply for another preapproval excluding your wife.  I strongly recommend talking to your LO about your situation so they can consider your DTI, credit score, etc. 

What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum No Limit NFCU nRewards #1 $25K NFCU nRewards #2 $22K AMEX Costco $15K Wells Fargo Rebate $8K Black Card $7.5K Amazon $3.1K USAA Platinum MC $6K USAA AMEX $2K Capital One Platinum $7K

Starting Score (Oct 2009): EQ 586 TU 584
Current Score (Feb 2014): EQ 740 TU 782 EX 738
Goal Score(Jan 2015): 800 ACROSS THE BOARD!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 9
paulbrapp
New Contributor

Community Property state....can't exclude his wife

Message 6 of 9
docrod82

The denial was because of the student loan that was in default. Ombudsman could not help us out because it was in default for such a long time. I can't get a loan excluding my wife's debts because we are in a community property state.
Message 7 of 9
paulbrapp
New Contributor

You are going to have to wait until the loans are back in good standing.  Really no way around it

Message 8 of 9
docrod82

I kind of figured that waiting it out till it goes back in to good standing would be the best a safest idea. I was just  checking to see if any body had any experience with this situation. Thank you guys for all the great input.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.