Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My experience with 2 lenders: Local and National

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience with 2 lenders: Local and National

I decided to 'hedge my bets' while financing my house.  I applied for mortgages with a very highly recommended local direct lender, and Chase bank, a bank that I've had a long, great relationship with.

I'm sitting here today 100% ready to go with the local lender, and in disarray with Chase.

It's been somewhat of a rollercoaster back and forth between these two - almost like dating two women at the same time.  During most of the process, I was 100% sure I wanted to go with Chase.  They were super quick with their responses (when they wanted to be), and even suggested that I close early.  My local lender was "Slow and Steady..." They didn't communicate much, but told me that their silence meant that everything was going fine.

That was until today.

I'm scheduled to close just over a week from now, October 19th.  I got my 4th conditions letter from Chase in that many weeks...yes, I've gotten 4 different conditoin letters, and each one has added things, taken them away, and change them.  Make no mistake...I don't have a complicated credit profile.  They were for stupid things, like explaining an 'alias' (my middle name vs. my middle initial on my credit report, etc.).

The most recent one takes the cake, however.  They said that based on my appraisal, they want a contractor to inspect the property and certify that it is safe to be occupied.  This is based on very minor water in a 2,400 square foot unfinished basement, equpted with a sump pump.  I wouldn't be quite as annoyed if they hadn't been sitting on the appraisal for 3 weeks, and not waited until 5 business days before closing to request this.

I guess this makes things easy for me.  I almost felt bad withdrawing my application from Chase, being that they had already put in time and effort.  Oh well.

I guess the moral of this story is that local lenders know their stuff and what it takes to close.  My local LO sits 25 feet away from the underwriter, while I'm pretty sure the ones in Chase are in different time zones.

As annoyed as I am, I'm also happy to be free and clear to close with the local lender a week from Monday Smiley Happy.  The ironic thing is, my LO told me they will amost certaintly sell my loan to Chase, as they are their primary investor!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: My experience with 2 lenders: Local and National

^^^^I believe you 100% Smiley Happy  Congratulations on getting your approval and for having the foresight to make an application with a local lender!

For Chase to bring up the property condition issues last minute is irresponsible. I am guessing that the loan you seek is FHA, could be conventional, but FHA or VA or USDA are much more likely to bring up a condition issue in the appraisal.

You were absolutly right to go with the local lender. Can you imagine where you would be if you had put only one mortgage application in and it was to Chase???? Smiley Surprised

From a recent article I saw Chase is doing whatever they can to NOT originate FHA loans. Their CEO says its too risky (paraphrased). Here is a direct quote of how much Chase is reducing their FHA originations (across the country) with the entire article link so you can read more if you are interested:

In the second quarter, JPMorgan Chase originated just 340 FHA loans, compared with 19,111 FHA loans in the second quarter of 2013. Meanwhile, the bank's overall home lending business is booming. JPMorgan originated $29.3 billion of home loans in the second quarter, up 74% from a year earlier.

http://www.nationalmortgagenews.com/news/compliance/jpmorgan-leads-big-banks-out-the-door-of-fha-106...

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Believe it or not it was for a conventional. You're right - I'm so glad I didn't put all of my eggs in that basket.
Message 3 of 7
kauaicubano

Very interesting I'm in the process of getting a refinance and have started with a highly recommended local lender and a lender I selected from Zillow. It's interesting to see how much quicker my local direct lender is responding to request and also the different types of information they're requesting.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my case I think it's because the local lender works very closley with the underwriter.  On Monday of last week I was told that I should get final approval by Tuesday.  On Thursday, after not hearing fromt hem, I e-mailed the processor, who brings up the inspection.  Between Tuesday and Friday I've gotten 3 separate conditions letters, all with different and conflicting conditions - all about a week before closing.  I added that to my collection of 4 other condition letters I've gotten over the past week.

I can't wait to send them a letter asking them to withdraw my applicaion this week.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have mentioned severals times Chase take alot of mortgage applications, but don't close half of them.   Their office in Pheonix Arizona is pathetic.   Yes , they respond quick to keep you happy, but when it's time to close it won't happen.  I wasted 3 months with them. Fortunately, I was able to find another smaller Lender who close my loan in less than 30 days.   

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed.  They are very nice, very receptive, and get you excited with things like "We may be able to close 2 weeks early," but in the end, they are completely disjointed.  The people you talk to are like salesmen, who are regurgitating what the actual loan officers and underwriters are telling them....thats my $0.02.....

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.