Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My lender gives me monthly credit score updates

tag
tisch0791
New Contributor

My lender gives me monthly credit score updates

I have my mortgage through Ocwen.  They have a "rewards" program where they will give you your credit score on a monthly basis.  Any insight on how accurate the score might be, and where they are pulling it from?  As far as I know, they report to all three bureaus, but I'm not sure how they get the score or where they get it from.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My lender gives me monthly credit score updates

I looked around and didn't find too much. I did find a mention of a settlement with Affinion/Trilegiant with a mention of Ocwen. Affinion/Trilegiant provides CMS services like PrivacyGuard and IdentityGuard and they provide a monthly credit score update. It isn't a FICO though.

Not saying this is it. Do you know the name of the service?

Message 2 of 6
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Without some more information, it will be hard to tell.  One thing you can do is check your EQ FICO here, and compare it to the score you are getting from your lender.  If it is the same, that would be some indication that they are giving you a FICO score.  TU comparison likely won't help because your lender likely isn't using TU98.  You could also check free scores at places like Credit Karma.  If your TU score your lender is giving you matches the Transrisk or Vantage score you are getting via Credit Karma, it may be that you are getting a Vantage or Transrisk score.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also check your monthly billing statement and make sure they aren't charging you for this.  If it's Privacyguard or something similar, there is usually a $14.95 charge that, if you tried a free trial, or something similar, may have been added to your monthly mortgage payment without you realizing it.  I've seen it happen. If that's the case, your mortgage company was just following "orders" from the company who's providing the service, but they may be able to cancel it for you.  A quick call to their customer service can confirm that.

Message 4 of 6
tisch0791
New Contributor

I haven't seen any charges for the service.  It's a courtesy that they offer.  As for the type of service, there aren't any specifics.  The score is listed at 649 and it's provided every quarter.  This was the score as of 8/13.  The only details I can find is that they provide the information based on the three credit bureaus. 

Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Look in the fine print of the report. Also look for "CreditXpert" or even a score range. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.