Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My scores are 2 points too low-how to raise quicky

tag
chelseaboemily
New Visitor

My scores are 2 points too low-how to raise quicky

Hello-We have an accepted offer on a house, and i found out my credit score is two points too low, How can I raise my score a few points or more quickly? will it lower my score or raise it to get a credit card? Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Mrs_hambright
Frequent Contributor

Re: My scores are 2 points too low-how to raise quicky

Rule if thumb is to pay down your credit card balances... Are your carrying any balances?
Message 2 of 9
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

have all but one card report nothing at all and the one card report bewteen 1-10% of the available credit. btw the report date is within a day or two either way of the date your statement is generated

Message 3 of 9
los_west
Regular Contributor

Getting a card will add an inquiry and doesn't report for at least 30 days....so probably not a good idea.  Best thing to do would probably be paying down your balances.  GW companies for any late payments you may have. 

Starting Score: (04/18/2013) EX 572, TU 577, EQ 554
Currently: (12/2014) EX ?, TU ?, EQ 766 (new version)
Lender Pull (12/03/14): EX 759, TU 750, EQ 766
Message 4 of 9
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

If it were me here... I would stay away from opening another credit card.  Depending on how quickly you need it, it might take 30-60 days to hit your credit report... and the inquiry might hurt you more in the meantime.

Have you gone through your credit report recently and validated that ANY and ALL items reported incorrectly are disputed?  I do a check monthly on mine.... and have noticed that on occasion, disputes in the past have increased my score.  NOT RECOMMENDING YOU DO THIS unless they are truly wrong.  But rather just throwing out suggestions.  In the past I've disputed information wrongly stated on accounts and have seen my score jump as much as 20 points almost immediately.

Another suggestion... if you know someone with an established credit card (2 years + in good standing, and within the 10% balance realm) have them add you as an authorized user on their account.  You might not see huge numbers jump... but it might be enough to get you past the 2pt hurdle... and these will generally hit YOUR credit report quicker than opening another credit card. 

Current FICO Scores: EQ749; TU732; EX733
Message 5 of 9
itzateach
Regular Contributor

I am in your shoes....if you have had your credit pulled at your bank with in the last 90 days,you can use that credit report (andnot get another inquiry) and open up a secured VISA card for like 300 bucks....I am doing that to try and get 14 points....it reports at theend of the month (a few days from now)..i put 10 bucks on it on Saturday...and next month, I am going to add another 100 bucks to increase the credit line....should help too. My lender says it has worked everytime for their clients to raise their score....esp if your other cards are like you say they are. I have 2 cc's...both at 0. I lost points when i left 10 bucks on it last month.

Message 6 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@chelseaboemily wrote:

Hello-We have an accepted offer on a house, and i found out my credit score is two points too low, How can I raise my score a few points or more quickly? will it lower my score or raise it to get a credit card? Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forum 

If you have other CC's as others have suggested pay down any UTL

Other than that DO NOTHING as 2 points are not that hard to get 

Things you don't want to do 

1) apply for any new CC's

any new HP's will result in a scoring drop and then again when the new TL reports

2) don't work on your CR's right now any new disputes or major changes can also effect scores +/- 

Depending on closing date you have time for your scores to naturally increase and if there's something that will be required your LO will advise 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@myjourney wrote:

@chelseaboemily wrote:

Welcome to the forum 

If you have other CC's as others have suggested pay down any UTL

Other than that DO NOTHING as 2 points are not that hard to get 

Things you don't want to do 

1) apply for any new CC's

any new HP's will result in a scoring drop and then again when the new TL reports

2) don't work on your CR's right now any new disputes or major changes can also effect scores +/- 

Depending on closing date you have time for your scores to naturally increase and if there's something that will be required your LO will advise 

^^^EXACTLY. Pay down your balances. Nothing else. No inq's. No disputes. Nothing.

Message 8 of 9
itzateach
Regular Contributor

My lender said getting the secured card raises your credit every time...just how much is the question. I didn't take an inquiry hit because I used the bank that had my report own file from recently refinancing my car.

Also cap one raised the credit limit on 2 cards...that will help with utilization ...except i have none LOL....

not sure what else to do. They also said they won't use cards that you have recently become an authorized user on...guess they caught onto that one....

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.