Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED ADVICE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NEED ADVICE

Finally got some pre approvals but since i get paid commission my tax returns are needed.  I owe 15k in taxes for 2015 and still have an agreeent for 2014 at 170 a month.  do all lenders require tax returns.  Its kicking my butt that i cannot get a home

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NEED ADVICE

Yes, as far as know all lenders require tax returns. Your situation is part of the reason why, any obligation to creditors or in this case the IRS gets factored into your DTI ratio.
Message 2 of 9
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

For my self employment, I set aside a certain percentage of each payment, so can pay taxes when owed. Seems it would be easier if you did quarterly taxes?
Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

i think i need t o change my withholding options.  it is KILLING ME

Message 4 of 9
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Finally got some pre approvals but since i get paid commission my tax returns are needed.  I owe 15k in taxes for 2015 and still have an agreeent for 2014 at 170 a month.  do all lenders require tax returns.  Its kicking my butt that i cannot get a home

I don't get that statement. I am 100% commission too ... but I'm also  W2 employee. The fact that you are on a commission-based compensation plan is not the issue. What is the issue is how much net income you earn after taxes, depreciation, etc. Sounds like you are not ready to purchase a home if your are so far behind in your tax payments. At the end of the day, your payments to the IRS will be treated like payments to any other creditor to determine your DTI. This is a very common conundrum for self employed people. You did not state what your annual income is but I am assuming that it is such that you are struggling to pay the income taxes on that income. Work on that and then look at purchasing a home is the best that I can suggest.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

im not struggling to pay it. my income is 95k yearly but it still sucks to have to pay so much.  i pay the payment plan i have on time 

Message 6 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

im not struggling to pay it. my income is 95k yearly but it still sucks to have to pay so much.  i pay the payment plan i have on time 

Self employment is a two edged sword. Speak to a CPA, you might consider having an LLC so you aren't paying self employment tax on gross revenue.  A CPA can give you more accurate, detailed tax information.

Take  a look at your payment plan with the IRS to check the terms of the actual agreement you have with the IRS. If I am not mistaken you need to make sure 2015 is paid in full. I don't think they will authorize another payment plan for your shortfall in years subsequent to the current payment plan.

Also, if you are on a payment plan, it doesn't prevent you from getting a mortgage. The lender just needs to see the agreement and that you are making the payments on time. Speak to your LO about it. 

Message 7 of 9
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, tax returns required, via the 4506T.

But you have a much bigger issue if you are underpaying estimated taxes by that much, multiple years in a row.

If your income and expected taxes were largely the same between 2014 and 2015, and you still underpaid by 15k for 2015, you are very likely to end up paying a percentage of the underpaid amount as a penalty, in addition to the tax itself.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just provide the tax returns. Since, as you indicate, the debt isn't a burden, it shouldn't be too much of a negative.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.