Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NF cloc before applying for mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NF cloc before applying for mortgage

Morning all....

I currently have a TU score of 624. I would really like to apply for the NF cloc  and cc before going into the garden until I apply for a mortgage this fall. Is this a good idea or will it hurt me in the long run? Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NF cloc before applying for mortgage

How soon are you going for the mortgage?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe September or so...
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are looking to get a mortgage in the next two months, two new inquiries and accounts will not help your scores. Figure out what is holding your scores down, put some energy into fixing those items, get the mortgage, and then get the cloc and cc after you close.

If the cloc and cc are more important than the mortgage, then go for them now. It truly depends on what your priorities are. 

Message 4 of 8
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

I just closed on my mortgage on Tuesday. The mortgage company I worked with had me write letters of explaination on every inquiry I had even though most of them were from mortgage companies pulling for pre approvals. I had gotten a new chase card a few months ago and had to explain that. They told me if I had had a balance on my new card that could have had an affect on my mortgage application but since I had not posted a balance on it since I had gotten it and my other card utilization was at 1% they would let it go. 

My company went back 3 months from time of application on everything inquiries, accounts and bank statements.

Message 5 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Dpeezy has the right of it: determine your priorities and then go from there. 

If Credit Card / CLOC > mortgage, I'd make the argument you shouldn't be applying for a mortgage period actually.

In any event, inquiries for absolutely certain on the FICO score trifecta count for the full year with no "aging" in terms of reducing their impact; as a result, you want as few inquiries as possible within the last 12 months if you're playing in the sub-gold-plated tiers... namely anything under a 760.

If you have 800 scores then it doesn't matter but for anyone under a 760 taking inquiries unless they're absolutely necessary in the year before a mortgage is a mistake.  LOE policies to the contrary notwithstanding, LOE's fill check boxes, your score determines your initial rate with some modifications after that, but the score is the principal determination and inquiries are never ever a positive, nor is a reduction in AAOA.

        
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great advice Dpeezy and Revelate! I will be applying for...

Great advice Dpeezy and Revelate! I will be applying for a mortgage through NFCU next spring and I was contemplating getting a CC & CLOC with them, too. However, it was a short lived thought because my goal is to be over 730, for hubby and I, with ALL of the CRA's. I dont want anything bringing down my scores, not even a couple points. So I decided to wait until I close to go on an app spree. We're comfortably at 700, so with paying down credit cards we should meet or surpass our goals.

Letters of explanation will help get the loan, but our scores will already qualify us for that. My only concern is getting THE best interest rate and the less inq the best.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That should say our goal is to be at 760, not 730...
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.