Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU 100% mortgage employment requirement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU 100% mortgage employment requirement

I called NFCU today and was told we most likely will not be approved for a loan because of staying home with a child. I stayed home 6 moths while I was laid off and my wife stayed home a year. We both have returned to work with in the same field. I have been back to work for over a year. I was told staying home with a child is great but not an excuse because they want 2 years of work history. I was also told this is a lender overlay they have with FHA loans as well. Anyone else have heard of this? 

Discouraged.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU 100% mortgage employment requirement

That is definitely a lender overlay. There are situations that can be considered, such as staying home with a child. The underwriter can do whatever they want with justification however. If the underwriter does not like a layoff, or a lesser position, or a decrease in pay, they can deny the loan. The loan officer probably has a feel for what their underwriter likes to see.

Don't get discouraged. There are other lenders. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

There was no decrease in pay. I actually make more and so does my wife. I decided to collect unemployment instead of taking the 1st job offer I got. Our dti (after a mortgage) would be under 34% so I hope that helps us. We won't be officially applying until October. Wish us luck!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Their underwriters are sketchy in my experience. Read my story, it's at the top of the forum right now - they really screwed me over with some made up madness. 

I wish you all of the luck! Even more than luck, be persistent and diligent, and don't get discouraged! My dad with 800s scores and perfect history and uber income had hell refinancing on a home that appreciated in value... it's hell for everyone right now.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there! I recently walked into a NFCU branch asking about the 100% HBC program and was told upfront they had strict income requirements. Fully documented income in the same field with no gaps, 3 years minimum.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes sense. I was shocked that I told it was the same for FHA.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told*
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.