Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Mortgage VA Loan?????

tag
eparker
Frequent Contributor

NFCU Mortgage VA Loan?????

Has anyone used NFCU for their mortgage using a VA Loan?  I was just curious about their loan process, and pre-approval process.

Thanks

Starting Score: Mid 500's
EQ-701 TU-693 EXP-698
Goal Score:750+

NavChek $15,000/NFCU nRewards Visa $12,000/American Express Rewards Gold NPSL/USAA Rewards World Mastercard $7000/USAA Visa Platinum $7000/Barclay $3900/Credit Union Visa $5000/Jareds $7600/BofA Visa $4000/USAA MC $1500/Walmart $1200//Amazon $1000/Discover Card $750/Cap1 $2250.

the FICO Fitness Challenge
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
edcampbell613
Contributor

Re: NFCU Mortgage VA Loan?????

They all about the same, your lender is only as good as your Mortgage Officer.

When calling and searching, ask questions, 

2013 I was over 40% VA, some people in my office never touched them because they did not understand them.

Message 2 of 7
babyeyes00
Regular Contributor

I just got pre-qualified last week.  Im wondering the same about NFCU. Ive heard good and bad things about them by reading this forum.  Good Luck to you Smiley Happy Keep us posted.

Starting Score: 555
Current Score: 685
Goal Score: 825

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
klondike
Valued Member

Prequalified means nothing.

Until you get through underwriting, you are at risk going with a lender that is very large. I would recommend you find someone local you can trust who actually has a relationship with the underwriters. If you have a realtor, they often have good people they would recommend.

Starting FICO EQ Score: 597
Current FICO EQ Score: 664
Goal FICO EQ Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

@klondike wrote:

Prequalified means nothing.

Until you get through underwriting, you are at risk going with a lender that is very large. I would recommend you find someone local you can trust who actually has a relationship with the underwriters. If you have a realtor, they often have good people they would recommend.

NFCU will actually preapprove you so you can go "shopping" with that in hand.  That's what I am doing now, even though I may end up using a different lender.  And to be clear, my loan is a conventional not a VA.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 5 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

NFCU in general is pretty conservative when it comes to mortgages.  If your credit is good-to-excellent and aren't trying to max out what you can qualify for then usually there isn't a problem.  Poor-to-fair credit usually isn't as fortunate with them.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 7
dpechal
Regular Contributor

I know you said your using the conventional loan, but I did apply for there VA Loan, I found the LO's and customer service team very disappointing.  They never returned my phone calls, I literally had to beg them to get to the next steps.  I know others have had good experiences with them, but once I seen how they treated potential customers I decided to take my business elsewhere.

***$25,500******$20,000******$20,000******$20,000******$15,000********NPSL****

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.