cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nagging worry of FHA pre-approval turning into denied. LONG!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nagging worry of FHA pre-approval turning into denied. LONG!

We are fully pre-approved, offer accepted, mid mortgage score of 661 for me and 672 for the husband. Loan officer received the executed purchase agreement this morning.

The deets.

- I have a 2 year 6 month old bankruptcy chap 7, no mortgages included. No credit issues since. I've been with current employer for 1 year 7 months. Was laid off directly before that, but also worked part time and went to school full time while unemployed for 10 months.  I have established credit cards, student loans, and an auto loan, all in good standing with good history since bk.

-Husband has 6.5 years with current employer. He has a 30 day late on auto loan in 2009. Another 30 day late on a bank card in 2011. And here's the one I am worried about. In December 2014, we had an unpaid final bill from Verizon pop-up, and we paid it when we were made aware of it. On Equifax and Transunion it shows paid and no lates. On Experian it shows two 90 day lates in Dec/Nov.  It also appears like a revolving credit account on MyFico. The rest of his credit is good. His high mortgage score is 707.

Our loan officer is aware of all of this, he has pulled our credit reports, we have given him a ton of documentation and completed an application, and he gave us a pre-approved letter for the owners when we made our offer.

We will be sure to keep our credit card balances at or below the balance when our report was pulled so as to not drop our scores. We will not apply for anything else anywhere. We have no random debts that we expect to pop up, we are current and good on everything.

Our down payment is coming from a grant. Our loan will be FHA insured. Our closing costs are covered by the seller. Our earnest money was a gift from my grandma. All of the inspections and various fees will be covered by us. The mortgage back-end will be 24.5% and our DTI with the mortgage will be 41%, lender has approved us up to 45% DTI.

Our credit card balances are high. In total, with 11 cards ($6750 credit line total amount) between the both of us, we are about 80% utilized but individually some are close to 100% while others are around 25%. We've offered to pay some off and close them at closing if needed.

Our loan officer so far has been pretty upbeat and optimistic. I work for the state of Oregon, they have an employee benefit for help with home buying and he was the recommended loan officer by the state employee benefit board, they have worked with him 9 years, so I feel fairly confident he and the lender are reputable.

What I'm really afraid of is something causing us to get denied at the last minute.

Like...

-High credit card utilization even though our DTI will be under the FHA front end limit of 43%?

-Husband's Experian credit report shows those two 90 day lates for the paid Verizon Bill, and they are only 7 and 8 months old?

-We have a bunch of credit inquiries last year. None this year except the mortgage pull.

-I haven't worked for two years for my current employer.

If our loan officer knew all of this, had us give documentation for some of it, and an LOE for my bankruptcy just in case, ahead of time, what is the chance any of this might jump up randomly and cause a denial? Or would there be conditions?

I'm just trying to prepare myself for the various outcomes.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nagging worry of FHA pre-approval turning into denied. LONG!

Help please Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

We all have those worries. My total DTI with PITI and CCs is looking at less than 24%. I have a massive total of 35 dollars in CC debt. A 500 dollar share secured loan (@ 11 bucks a month). All scores over 700 on mortgage and 730 plus on 08 model. And I'm still sure somebodys gonna go, "hold up why are we loaning this moron money?" All you can do is sit tight and let things work through the system. If the LO says go, go. Maybe the UW will ask for a LOE on why you forgot the last verizon bill. So you write one when the time comes. 

Ive read so many mortgage threads on here where people in what I would think was worse Shape shkated thru and people in better caught the UW on the night his wife made him sleep on the couch. Just have your ducks in a row, get them what they need when they need it, and you will be just fine. 

Message 3 of 13
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

pfarro....they need to sticky your response!!!!

OP, good luck and congrats!!!!

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pfarro, your situation sounds a lot different than mine, we have a bankruptcy, recent late payment and really high credit card utilization. Thank you for your nice reply, I do appreciate it but I really was hoping someone with similar issues or a mortgage broker who has seen these issues before might reply and let me know if these types of things might pop back up after a pre approval and be the issue that gets us denied.

Message 6 of 13
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

OP...i think pfarro was using his example to say that even with his situation, he's still worried something will derail his process.

do you know if your loan was approved through the automated underwriting system?  if it was, then that's a great sign as the lender usually follows the recommendations of the automated system.

more than likely, the credit card utilization will not be a factor as long as you are within DTI and credit score guidelines.  

i can't speak on the late payment or BK, but if your lender issued a pre-approval knowing these circumstances, you will probably make it through underwriting.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for that awesome reply, sorry for my grumpy response earlier Smiley Sad I do appreciate the answers! A lot!

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't speak to most of your concerns, but there is one I can relate too.   I have 20 inquires on my account (I know, I know, big no no) and the most recent one was one month before I applied for a mortgage.  I took a big risk to streamline my credit score, which for me paid off I jumped over 150 points in one year.  I have two judgements on my account, that at the time of pre approval were not updated to satisfied. I also have another big red flag, which I didn't know about until a week ago, I work for my father as a w-2 employee.   And on Equifax I still had two collections with a zero balance.  My offer was accepted April 10th and I close tomorrow.    I had to send in proof of payment on the judgments, and letters that they were satisfied since I paid them before I applied for the mortgage.  They never once questioned all the inquires on my credit report, just made me sign a document saying that I agreed to them all and that there weren't anymore since I applied.

Good-luck!!!

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buying a house is an extremely stressfull process. If your loan officer is not worried, I would try hard to not be worried. Your CC utilization shouldn't really matter much, as long as you DTI ratio is within guidelines (and you would not have gotten a pre-approval if it was not). Just as long as no new debts pop up and as long as you continue making your payments during this process, I imagine you will be fine. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.