cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name on Deed but Not Promissory Note Question

tag
bchandler14

Name on Deed but Not Promissory Note Question

Hi All- Firs of all, thank you to everyone who constantly contributes to these boards. There is a lot of very useful information here.

My wife and I bought our first house in the beginning of 2007 before the crash. The mortgage company decided to only use her information on the loan, so I wasn't added. We both took income hits and decided to let the bank foreclose on the house. My name was on the deed and I also signed the mortgage but not the promissory note. The foreclosure is not on my CR but it is on my wifes. 

Within the next couple of years we're going to be buying again. I am sure one of the questions on the loan app is going to be "have you ever been foreclosed on". I was part of the lawsuit because my name was on the deed so the technical answer is yes.

Has anyone else faced a similar situation or do you have advice on how to handle it? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Re: Name on Deed but Not Promissory Note Question

It may be best to document this as the answer if you have answer the question.  It seems to me that foreclosure is an action to take title (the deed) and the fact you weren't on the note spared you the lates on your CR but there's another system that tracks foreclosures and you don't want to risk being accused of making a fraudulent application to a bank.

Depending on the laws of your state the lender might have had an "interesting" problem in the foreclosure since you are on the deed but not the note.  It sounds like you let the property go through foreclosure so that's not useful now.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Name on Deed but Not Promissory Note Question

Here in our state if the borrower is married than the other spouse has to sign the mortgage, not the note, just the mortgage. They are acknowledging that the spouse is putting a mortgage on the property. By the way, this only applies to primary residences, not investment properties.

So, yes, when the lender forecloses on the mortgage all the parties including spouses, any possible tenants etc are including in the f/c filing.

You would need to disclose this to the lender. It is public record anyway.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.