Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal 100% Financing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal 100% Financing

What was your score when you applied for Navy Federal's homebuyer's choice mortgage. Did you get approved? I am in the 3-5 business day wait period for a response and I am super nervous.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal 100% Financing

I was preapproved for the HCM through NF with scores ranging 670-700, but I heard there were mortgage scores which are separate those I am not aware of and don't even know how to access them. 

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not going to mention scores and whatnot because it won't help you. Navy fed is fee heavy in my experience and I would proceed with caution, get a GFE immediately if you do qualify.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just recieved the letter from the bureaus disclosing my credit scores after the mortgage application and they were EQ 655 EX 661 and TU 647. Much lower than what I thought. I am waiting for the loan officer to call and give me the news, but I am feeling as if I will have to go FHA with those scores.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, that's an expensive loan. I'd never heard of it, so I checked it out. The LOW APR (meaning the most excellent scores) get 5.189% according to their own chart! I can't begin to imagine what it costs for scores in the 600s. Maybe it's me, but that seems really high. I would definitely check out other options even if they did approve me.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was quoted at 6.125% APR for my credit score. Still pending approval from the underwriter. It actually works out to be cheaper than FHA(monthly payment) because there is no PMI. Since I'm only 26 and just starting in life I'd definitely like to refinance into a conventional loan with a lower APR once my LTV % is more appropriate. Maybe I'm jumping in too soon, but I just hate throwing away money on rent each month when I could be building equity into something I actually own. A high APR is better than the black hole in which my rent payments are currently going. In my honest opinion.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You do realize that at those rates and going with 100% financing, it will be about 5 years before you actually show any real equity, even if your house slightly appreciates, right? For the first couple of years, most of your entire payment goes to interest only and your escrow account. Very, very little hits your principal. And you have started with to on to get you closer to break even and equity. Then when you sell, you need to factor in paying about 10% of the expected sales price to agent fees and closing costs. So, for example, on a 200k house, you will pay out about 20k to close the deal (plus any seller concessions you would give after inspection, etc) before your loan is paid off. Of course, this doesn't factor in maintenance costs, rises in taxes that seem to happen every year, etc. 

dont get me wrong, owning a house can be great, but the "but I'm building equity" arguement doesn't really fly unless you expect to live in the house for the long term (8-10 years, for example). 

Message 7 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

You do realize that at those rates and going with 100% financing, it will be about 5 years before you actually show any real equity, even if your house slightly appreciates, right? For the first couple of years, most of your entire payment goes to interest only and your escrow account. Very, very little hits your principal. And you have started with to on to get you closer to break even and equity. Then when you sell, you need to factor in paying about 10% of the expected sales price to agent fees and closing costs. So, for example, on a 200k house, you will pay out about 20k to close the deal (plus any seller concessions you would give after inspection, etc) before your loan is paid off. Of course, this doesn't factor in maintenance costs, rises in taxes that seem to happen every year, etc. 

dont get me wrong, owning a house can be great, but the "but I'm building equity" arguement doesn't really fly unless you expect to live in the house for the long term (8-10 years, for example). 

^^^classy, this isn't always true. In some markets it is true. OP has to find out what is happening in his market. One thing for sure, if you rent you never build equity. Not everyone wants or needs to own a home, it is a personal decision.

But to say that you always have to live in the house long term (8 to 10 years) is not accurate. You do have to take into account acquisition costs and selling costs. Your estimate is high at 10% but 8% to 8.5% is a realistic figure IME. 

As to where you would be at the end of 5 years - you forgot to add in appreciation. I know we have just come through the Great Recession where there was virtually no appreciation in most parts of the country, but appreciation is back now. Several of my clients that purchased in 2012 are selling now and they are walking out with $70k  to $100k after expenses. In fact, their total cost to acquire the property was approx $11k to16k (depending upon the deal negotiated and the purchase price). You can't count on appreciation as we have seen in the 2007 to 2011 recession but you really can't ignore it either.

You make your deals on the purchase - if you negotiate well going in you end up with equity at the end, unless the financing is poor or the economy tanks. It is a risk/reward process and it isn't for everyone.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was quoted at 6.125% APR for my credit score. Still pending approval from the underwriter. It actually works out to be cheaper than FHA(monthly payment) because there is no PMI. Since I'm only 26 and just starting in life I'd definitely like to refinance into a conventional loan with a lower APR once my LTV % is more appropriate. Maybe I'm jumping in too soon, but I just hate throwing away money on rent each month when I could be building equity into something I actually own. A high APR is better than the black hole in which my rent payments are currently going. In my honest opinion.

I understand completely, Michelle. That's the major reason I bought a house, too. I was tired of paying someone else's mortgage every month while I got absolutely nothing out of it except a roof over my head. I too was sending $1250 a month into a black hole. I don't think you're jumping in too soon - I just think Navy Federal's fees are pretty hefty for that loan. But avoiding PMI is a definite plus. I'm sorry if I offended you; I was just shocked when I looked at that chart and saw those APRs.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You didn't offend me. Thank you for all the feedback. I am still waiting on a reply for my app with Navy Federal. It's been five days. Apparently they are bombarded with apps. I read an article somewhere that last year they closed something like 50 billion dollars(somewhere around there can't recall exactly) worth of mortgages due to their Homebuyer's Choice product. Either way I know I am approved for FHA. I called StateFarm today just to get an idea of typical home owner's insurance rates in Florida and I was flabbergasted when they told me $3k a year. The home we want to offer on is 3 bed 2 bath, built in 1977, block, and with a pool. That seems outrageous to me. I wonder how much extra the pool is adding. Another thing to consider is that we live in central Florida....hurricanes are not a huge issue. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.