Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal was Awesome on my VA Loan

tag
Legal_Girl
Frequent Contributor

Navy Federal was Awesome on my VA Loan

First went to NFCU and applied for VA Mortgage. Preapproved. Found House & put in offer. The only document I had to actually give them was 1 paycheck stub.  I did of course fill out the disclosure docs so they could check with SS to verify I am who I say I am and with IRS to make sure I am who I say I am and that I don't owe them anything.  I had no stress.  I was told by someone in real estate that VA loans can take 45 to 60 days.  Mine closed in about 38 days.  I could have closed several days earlier, but it was so fast and I had to get utilities turned on, switched over, etc.  My loan went to underwriting at about 11:30 and by 1 pm I had a clear to close in writing.  The Processor told me she didn't normally get them back that fast, so that made me very happy.

NFCU only ran my credit once.  I had a very low DTI and my mid score was 709.  I asked both the Loan Officer and the Processor if it would be run again and was told no by both.

I moved in Friday before last and love it.  I was renting for a few years before deciding to buy and preparing to buy.  My mortgage payments are over $650 LESS than my rent.

I have since been approved for Lowes (my Dryer died) and Best Buy.

I have come a long way from my Chapter 13 which discharged in 2010.  You guys have been great and I have learned so much.

Thank you all!!

Homeowner Again as of July 17, 2014. Thanks to the VA and NFCU. FICOs EQ - 786/EX - 782/TU - 778/Quicksilver $3,500 / Cred 1 $2,875 / 1st Natl $4,250/ Kohls Visa $5k / Mercury MC $5,850 / NFCU Visa Sig Cash Rew $27k/ Lowes $25k / Best Buy Visa $11k/ NFCU LOC $15k / Walmart MC $7.5k / Chase Freedom Unlimited $1,500 / Discover IT $27,000 / Discover IT Chrome $21,500 / Citi DC $7,300 / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $17,500 / Citi Simplicity $18,500 / Citi Premier $8,200 / Care Credit $10k/ AMEX Gold - NSL / Chase Sapphire Preferred $20,500
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal was Awesome on my VA Loan

I agree and the rates very low too!

Congrats on your new home!

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 2 of 10
dreamer2014
Regular Contributor

I just joined with them Congrats!

Myfico: 03/26/2015: EQ 652, EX 680, TU 738 Barclays

Barclays $4.7K, NFCU Platinum $15K, AMEX BCE $15k, HD $12k, Sams $3.5k, Walmart MC $3.5K, NFCU LOC 10K, GE local Furn store $3.5k, AMEX ED $10.5K
Message 3 of 10
Laura1369
Regular Contributor

I can't join with them :-( didn't do it while I was still in the military and being a veteran doesn't make me eligible. But if I had a roommate whose grandfather retired from the military, I could get a membership. Go figure..... 

Message 4 of 10
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

Congrats Legal_girl on the easy mortgage process and new home!  It's happy to see positive responses dealing with NFCU, as there are others who've posted negatives--especially if they didn't have a clean credit slate in the past.  Also congrats on the new credit cards as well!

Laura don't be disappointed if down the road NFCU closes your account based on no relationship to a NFCU member (I'm pretty sure using a room mates grandfather doesn't count).  I'm suprised that you weren't allowed to join based on your veteran status if you served 180 days consecutive with an Honorable Discharge.

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

CONGRATS!!

Message 6 of 10
Laura1369
Regular Contributor

Zorasmiles,

There are some weird connections that can be made to join NFCU and surprsingly being a veteran is NOT one of them. You can be a civilian employed for the DOD and join. Serve 12 years and get out without joining first? Nope! No membership for you!

Family Members
including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren), and household members. Once your family members have joined, their family members are also eligible for membership.

So Based on that.... if I have a memebership because my grandparent has one, i can then get my roomate (household member) in, who can then pass the benefits onto their family.
Message 7 of 10
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

Laura I know that are funny quirks for joining NFCU.  I currently work for th gov't but my active duty time has been long over.  If you can extend a membership to help your friend and it meets the NFCU guidelines--GO FOR IT!! Trust me I'm not their policing agent lol

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 8 of 10
Laura1369
Regular Contributor

Lol that's what I'm saying.... I don't have a membership to extend!!!! I can't get one! I actually don't know anyone around me who banks with them. Most people in this area choose either PSECU of Tobyhanna FedCU. 

Message 9 of 10
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

@Laura1369 wrote:

Lol that's what I'm saying.... I don't have a membership to extend!!!! I can't get one! I actually don't know anyone around me who banks with them. Most people in this area choose either PSECU of Tobyhanna FedCU. 

LOL They should be very happy that you're looking out for them! lol take care

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.