Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NavyFCU vs Veterans United

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NavyFCU vs Veterans United

Our lender offered us a VA loan at 3.25%, no points. Origination fee is 1% I believe (but H has a disability rating so we don't have to pay.) they also had rates at 3.35%, 3.5%, 3.6%, and 3.75% if you wanted them to cover part or all of closing. 

Sorry that that is no help! It really comes down to how long you plan to be in the home if keeping money now vs saving over the course of the loan. 

Good luck! 

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who's your lender?

Message 12 of 18
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

We used Wells Fargo and closed a VA loan a month ago at 3.375. I know Wells has bad reviews but our LO was awesome and we didn't have any issues. We were also dealing with a discharged bk13 on our reports.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

classynfun, where did you hear that the origination fee is waived if you have a disability rating? Are you mixing this up with the funding fee? You're still responsible for the origination fee, you might want to recheck your costs with your loan officer.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right, I was!  The reason we didn't have to pay the origination fee because we took a higher interest rate (3.5%)  and recived a full lenders credit for all of that vs the rate we originally qualified for. We didn't pay either origination or funding fee, I just flipped the reasons why. Sorry about that!

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

No worries, just wanted to clairify. Who was your lender?

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent you a PM. I don't know if I can list here. 

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to provide closure. I'm getting funded tomorrow and closing by Friday. I'm closing ahead of schedule as my escrow period actually ends July 2. Underwriting was sort of a PITA, as we went through 3 iterations. Trying to understand the settlement costs and everything else was new to me, but my lender was cool and provided explanations to the line items, as did my escrow company. I was fortunate that my seller worked around the VA loan requirements and was military friendly. Considering I live in a low inventory area, he probably could've thrown me to the curb for another buyer with less restrictions. He fixed all the inspection findings and came through at fixing a spa that wasn't even on the listing, due to it be inoperable. Also, he removed/hauled the carpet away at no charge so we can lay down flooring. So awesome! 

To anyone looking to get VA loan (or otherwise), with excellent credit, steer away from NFCU/Veterans United if you want to save on costs. Check Zillow Mortgage Finder and do some due diligence on your options. Good luck!

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.