Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice on Judgment and USDA/FHA Loan Underwriting

tag
Rvan1961
Valued Member

Need Advice on Judgment and USDA/FHA Loan Underwriting

I have a question for you all about judgments in general. I realize that I have to rectify this judgment in order to buy a home. Do they often take an offer to PIF? Mine is more than 4 years old and  approx 6.5k and I have never heard a word from them at all. Would you really offer 10% like some have suggested? Can you offer, say 50% of what you owe and make payments for 12 months, then get your loan approved? Sorry, I am just looking to buy a home and have to get this judgment laid to rest for good. God knows if I had the cash, I would pay in Full just to get it done. Any help is appreciated

Starting Score: 622
Current Score: 650
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Need Advice on Judgment and USDA/FHA Loan Underwriting

With USDA & FHA the judgment either needs to be paid, or on a payment plan for 12 months and then a lot of mortgage lenders will just include it into your debt to income ratio and not require it to be paid.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 11
Rvan1961
Valued Member

Thank you Shane, I appreciate the info. At this point, I don't really have 12 months to show a payment history (even if the plaintiff " Worldwide Asset Purchasing, LLC" allowed me to make payments, which is doubtful). I think I will hire an Atty to try to negotiate a payoff and have them vacate the judgment order completely. I'd like to do this myself, but since this plaintiff has never contacted me in 4 years, me contacting them may lead to garnishment.

Any Great Attorney in the Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo County  Area that anyone could recommend would be appreciated. I have ARAG coverage in a pre-paid legal plan through work, just need the name of a aggressive atty.

Message 3 of 11
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Welcome.  I only know of a family law attorney in the SB/SLO area.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the same predicament Ryan with the same creditor. I have sent a 10% settlement offer and am waiting to see what their response is. I would like to get this taken care of prior to applying for the USDA loan. Is this the best avenue Shane or can I submit the app while trying to settle this debt?

One more question, does anyone know what bureau USDA pulls from? In Ny?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 11
Rvan1961
Valued Member

Keep us updated and I wish you the best of luck with both the settlement and getting your loanSmiley Happy Let me know how they treat you.

Message 6 of 11
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

It always looks better if you approach a mortgage lender with a paid judgment than an unpaid judgment.

If you are going with a mortgage lender, they'll pull all 3 bureaus.  If you are applying Directly with USDA, I am not certain if they pull just 1 or all 3, if they do pull one, I suspect it'd likely be Equifax.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Shane and Ryan.

It really has me extremely nervous about the documentation stating clearly that there has to be 12 months under the belt of the paid judgment. I really do not want to wait that long.

Message 8 of 11
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

You can always apply earlier for a pre-approval and see, worst that'll happen is you won't get the loan.  I'd wait until there has been at least 3 months of payments.

Message 9 of 11
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Hi, there.  I also had a judgment that my LO said had to be paid as a condition of the pre-approval.  It was for 1900 initially but after fines and fees I ended up paying 2500.   I had 13 months of ontime payments on that judgment, but ultimately had to borrow the money to pay it off as a condition of the loan.  Hopefully it was worth it (I still don't know until she pulls my credit again after the bank approves our offer).

Good Luck.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.