Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a Lender that does VA Construction Loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need a Lender that does VA Construction Loans

Does anyone know of a Lender that will do a VA construction loan?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: Need a Lender that does VA Construction Loans

As in a pure VA construction? Land acquisition plus build with a one-time close?

Licensed in IL
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, we have the land and want to build on it.
Message 3 of 12
kc0039
Established Contributor

PM'ed you

Licensed in IL
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!!

Message 5 of 12
armywifelong03
Regular Contributor

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to see if you had any luck? We are on the same journey!
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@armywifelong03 wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to see if you had any luck? We are on the same journey!

Sorry!  Haven't been on here in a LONG time.  Unfortunately, after submitting all the paperwork and thinking everything was good to go, we just learned that the Lender is now no longer going to be doing new construction loans.  Something about them establishing a separate entity underwhich to resume that function in the future, blah, blah, blah.  So, we are now back at square one.  Just curious to know if you've had any success with your efforts.

Message 7 of 12
armywifelong03
Regular Contributor

No worries! We ended up just going the traditional, two time close route. We closed in September and, when the house is done, will roll the construction loan into a VA loan.

We had a hard time finding a builder would agree to the VA terms up front.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi armywifelong03 - I've heard the VA one time close construction loans are taboo, no one wants to deal with them. If you don't mind, with your traditional loan, did you have to put down a high percentage? I'm seeing people say 20-25% which is very high (whole reason why I was looking at the VA router). Congrats on your build and best of luck!
Message 9 of 12
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Typically conventional 1x close construction loans can be done with as little as 10% down, although I've heard from various people they've been able to find them through local banks with as little as 5% down.

VA 1x close construction loans are definitely still around, doing 100% financing, and can even finance closing costs into them as well.  Keep in mind the VA contruction loans have higher rates than regular VA mortgages, but if no other options to build a home then it's not too bad of a deal.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.