Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advise on getting another car loan

tag
glendazamot
Regular Contributor

Need advise on getting another car loan

Long story short, I just wrecked my car and it is total loss.  My insurance will not pay for it because I only had liability.  So, I need a car, I was hoping to apply for a USDA loan in March.  The only debt that I have on my credit is a car loan (my sister's car), which she has been paying ontime every month and only owe 4,000 on it and a credit car that I owe 600 on it (25 min  monthly payment but I always pay more)  That car loan will be paid off in Feb of this upcoming year. Is getting a car loan going to affect me getting that mortgage loan in March? Smiley Indifferent

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Need advise on getting another car loan

Funny, i posted this reply on another thread. Lol

I had to get a new car in the middle of my FHA streamline refinance. I discussed it with my LO and she told me I would be fine as long as it didn't mess up my DTI. When UW did an updated CR, they asked me to provide a LOE stating why I purchased it and asked me to provide the loan docs proving my note was the same amount listed on CR. I provided the info, and we closed.

YMMV, of course. So, I recommend you speak to a mortgage professional before you purchase your car.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 4
glendazamot
Regular Contributor

Ok, good info. I will definetly ask my LO
Message 3 of 4
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Whatever you do; keep payments low... get the minimum car you can stand so that your DTI isn't screwed. If there are less than 10 payments remaining on your sisters car then the payment shouldn't affect your DTI.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.