cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help!! Trying to get approved for personal loan.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help!! Trying to get approved for personal loan.

I just found out that my husband and I owe over $4,000 in taxes this year Smiley Sad

I would like to get a personal loan to cover that, and pay off the rest of our debt, so in total, I would need the loan to be $10k.  I don't have all three of our credit scores, but Equifax is 604-him, 558-me.  Can anyone give any suggestions as to where we should go to try to get approved?  I've tried a credit union, but my husband has a few old unpaid collections on his report, and I have been at a new job for only 4 months, so they said we would need a co-signer, and collateral, and even then we still couldn't get $10k.

I really appreciate any advice!!!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help!! Trying to get approved for personal loan.

You could fill out a form with the IRS to make payments. I know people that have done that.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

But as for the personal loan to consolidate, not sure if you can get that simply because there are negative items listed on the CR. I have found that personal loans are harder to get because there is no collateral involved.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was also going to suggest asking the IRS if you could make payments, I know my inlaws do that on years when they owe taxes
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I just found out that my husband and I owe over $4,000 in taxes this year Smiley Sad
I would like to get a personal loan to cover that, and pay off the rest of our debt, so in total, I would need the loan to be $10k. I don't have all three of our credit scores, but Equifax is 604-him, 558-me. Can anyone give any suggestions as to where we should go to try to get approved? I've tried a credit union, but my husband has a few old unpaid collections on his report, and I have been at a new job for only 4 months, so they said we would need a co-signer, and collateral, and even then we still couldn't get $10k.
I really appreciate any advice!!!

I would also ask IRS for payments. I currently am paying IRS $150.00 per month on 5600. They charge you 12/5% interest. They will almost always approve payments, If you request installment payments
Message 5 of 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Hi monroe, I had to make payments one year. Except it wasn't 12.5%. It was 2.5% per MONTH (that's 30% for the year). I paid it off as soon as I could. LOL.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
iltph
Frequent Contributor

If you find that you're paying a lot of money in taxes each year you should open a side business. That's what my wife and I do because we don't have any deductions except student loan interest. By doing this we were able to deduct about 15% of our rent/utilities/renter's insurance etc. Instead of paying a few thousand we are getting about a thousand back.
-------------------------------------------
April 2009: TU 768
March 2009: EQ 671
February 2009: EQ 666
January 2009: TU 667 | EQ 620 | EX 669
December 2008: TU 651 | EQ 625 | EX 649
April 2008: TU 642 | EQ 636 | EX 635
November 2007: EQ 542

November 2006: EQ 501
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

We also got stuck a few years ago (clueless when dh was an independant contractor).  Anyway- we set up a paymnt plan through the IRS, and I have no complaints (other than it was a waste of interest money!!!).  But, they were very easy to work with!  They asked what we could afford, and we told them 150/month, and they said 'great.'  THey have some 'rules'-- you can only set up a payment plan every few years-- so don't do this again!  Smiley Happy  And any refund in future years will go right to the balance.

Good luck!

-iwannahouse
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses!!

I've gotten conflicting information about paying the taxes in monthly payments to the IRS.  Their website says it costs $125 just to set up the payment plan, and with interest and penalties, it would be cheaper to pay using a credit card or personal loan, which just seems crazy.  A co-worker I spoke with said the interest and penalties is up to 16%, but I'm not sure about that.

Part of the reason that we owe so much is that I have a full-time job, but am also an independent contractor with the government (last year I made $8,500 with that job in addition to my regular income), and I have to pay the taxes on that income.  I also paid off (settled) 3 credit cards that had been charged-off (before I knew of these forums Smiley Wink) and 2 of those sent me a 1099 with the amount that they wrote off of my debt, so I had to include that as income.  It's really interesting to me that the 3rd company did not do that (I think that was WaMU).

Anyway, I've applied for a loan with BOA-got flat out denied, it's not looking too promising, and the 15th is coming up pretty fast!!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.