Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help comparing NFCU loan options

tag
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

Need help comparing NFCU loan options

Hello:

I am working with Navy Federal Credit Union about a home loan and they are offering 3 products to me:

FHA, 5/5 Arm and their HBC.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with these?? I am planning on getting a downpayment gift from my parents.

5/5 ARM-
100% financing with No Private Mortgage Insurance
Margin- 2.00%
First Change Cap- 2.00%
Subsequent Cap- 2.00%
Lifetime Cap- 5.00%
Minimum Rate- Margin

Homebuyers Choice-
100% financing with No PMI
Funding Fee- 1.75% can be included in loan amount
Fixed Rate over lifetime of loan

I am approved with an FHA loan elsewhere, but will apply to get one with NFCU to compare rates.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help comparing NFCU loan options

@ilzhoefer wrote:

Hello:

I am working with Navy Federal Credit Union about a home loan and they are offering 3 products to me:

FHA, 5/5 Arm and their HBC.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with these?? I am planning on getting a downpayment gift from my parents.

5/5 ARM-
100% financing with No Private Mortgage Insurance
Margin- 2.00%
First Change Cap- 2.00%
Subsequent Cap- 2.00%
Lifetime Cap- 5.00%
Minimum Rate- Margin

Homebuyers Choice-
100% financing with No PMI
Funding Fee- 1.75% can be included in loan amount
Fixed Rate over lifetime of loan

I am approved with an FHA loan elsewhere, but will apply to get one with NFCU to compare rates.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

What are the rates for the ARM and HBC? I am not a fan of ARMs unless you absolutely know you will be selling the house before the rate adjusts (five years here).

Message 2 of 4
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

I'll apply tomorrow and will know the rates.

Just curious to know anyones experience with the Homebuyers. program.

I cannot qualify for a true conventional, so the manager suggest that I go for the HBC.

I am being gifted some money from my parents, so I am hoping to use the down payment on the HBC to bring down the payment.

Message 3 of 4
bbb925
Regular Contributor

It depends on the price of your home as well.  FHA has the limits. As long as you stay under $417k you won't go jumbo with NFCU.  I just bought my house with NFCU 5/5 arm, no pmi, no down, no origination fees. I received 4.25% to start as that was the lowest available without paying points when I locked. Same cap and margins as you listed.  I had put $5k down in earnest money with my builder and when I went to closing last week I got a $197 check back.  NFCU also paid $500 toward my closing. My original GFE was $11,600 and it ended up being only $4800! NFCU has always given me very high GFE's and I always come in way less.  So it worked out great for me. I will definitely refinance before my 5 years is up unless things take a dive and interest rates skyrocket. But it's a good deal to get in the home with little money out of pocket.  After all was said and done I put out  $4800 on $384,880 loan and closed in 25 days from app to keys in hand. Not too bad if you ask meSmiley Happy Good luck with what you choose! 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.