Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to refinance

tag
sunnyday
Frequent Contributor

Need to refinance

I called to check into refinancing my home. I went through a divorce and ex signed a quit claim deed. The current mortgage is in his name and I need to refi in my name. Anyway, I have a first and second mortgage and want to get them rolled together in 1 payment. The problem is that there have been a ton of foreclosures in my area and the bank said the homes around me have recently sold for less than what I need. My home could sell for 140,000 easily but the bank said comparisons in the area that he looked up sold for 95,000.  When I bought my home in 2000, it was appraised for 137,000 before any updates were done. Since then, new roof, new windows, corian counters, new kitchen cabinets, new ceramic tile, carpeting, etc.. Now the bank is telling me they probably can't get an appraisal for more than 95,000.  Is there a website that I can go to so I can see what homes recently sold for in my area?  Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
itsjustmeibe
Regular Contributor

Re: Need to refinance

The websites are only going to give you a starting point. You really need to have a full appraisal done. If your bank isn't willing to take your application, find another bank! Also, you can check the recent sales in your area from the county website. It's public record. I don't know where you live. I had an appraisal done this morning, and the appraisor was saying stuff like, new kitchen, yea that helps, new heater, okay. Roof & window updates also play a part. Since you're going to have to go through the process of refinancing anyhow, I suggest you try FHA. You can finance up to 97.75% LTV.

Message 2 of 3
sunnyday
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need to refinance

Thanks for the info.  I actually talked with a real estate agent that I know and she did a comparison for me.  It looks like I should be ok.  Thank you for the advice.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.