Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negotiating on new construction?

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Negotiating on new construction?

For some reason, it never dawned on me that you could negotiate the price/options on new construction...can you? I saw a few people mention it in the other new construction thread.

When we purchased our home, they offered to pay up to 3% in closing fees if we went with their lender and we were all happy about that but it never even crossed our minds to try and negotiate more, if not in the sales price but at least X amount in upgrades. Is it pretty common to negotiate? Did we basically do the equivalent of paying sticker price for a new car? ;/
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
BCullum
New Contributor

Re: Negotiating on new construction?

Yea, in a nutshell you just paid sticker on a car. The 3% is great, however its something they all plan on doing anyways. When we set down to sign the contract, I negotiated blinds, a fridge, a washer and dryer, a garage door opener, and an additional 5,000 off purchase price. We had a leg up since we were buying a spec home in a development in final close out. But there is always wiggle room, some builders are willing to do more. 

Lender Pull EQ 745 EX 734 TU 722
Message 2 of 14
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Wow I feel so dumb for not even trying, how could it not even cross my mind? We were just so excited about even trying to buy a house that we were completely oblivious. And the worst part is that we usually are really good at negotiating...got $9k off on one of our cars. We should of played a little hardball...say we liked the house and would like to move forward but would like to have landscaping included or $10,000 in flooring upgrades or something. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 14
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

My realtor negotiated fridge, washer/dryer, blinds, full closing costs and my first year of HOA paid. Still think we should of asked for more especially since we didn't ask for a price change. I didn't know you could negotiate either, luckily my realtor knew.

I still wish I would have negotiated for more options like paint color and surround sound.
-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 14
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, you can negotiate. How much will vary wildly by builder and area though. We got an incentive of $7,500, and negotiated another $7,000. I'm not thrilled with it, since the same builder regularly offers $20,000+ incentives in another area. Then again, in yet a different area, this builder usually doesn't offer or negotiate ANY incentives at all.

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 5 of 14
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Yeah our realtor saved us a crap ton
Message 6 of 14
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Doh! That really sucks. Now they actually were selling like hotcakes and all the lots have already been long sold since we bought but we probably could of at least tried. Then again maybe if we asked, the sales agent would have had to ask management and in the mean time someone could of come in and bought the lot we wanted, or at least I can tell myself that to feel better about it. Smiley Tongue
Message 7 of 14
MrChairman
Established Contributor

This all really depends on the area and how fast the community is selling. The area we bought in, they are only building 3 condo buildings and they were getting snapped up way faster than their townhomes. I tried to negotiate a discount but they were selling so fast there was really no reason for the builder to offer us anything. We bought at 209k, the price on the last few units and third and final building now start at 225k. We are also a suburb of DC so our market downtown isnt as bas as some other parts of the country.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 14
rehr22
Contributor

I'm thinking new construction, as well.  However, in NJ these placing are going really fast, so not sure what negotiating power I will have when the time comes.

Starting Score: (2009) EQ = 626 | TU = 664
Current Score: (03-18-2014) EQ = 737 | TU = 703 | EX = 723
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 14
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I bought a new inventory construction home and didn't negotiate either. But I still feel like I got a pretty good deal. Builder gave us $500 at closing for Radon Mitigation which the realtor negotiated, $5,000 off the purchase price, and $8000 in closing costs which paid them in full. The house was already fully upgraded with all appliances, landscaping with sprinkler system, and included all window coverings.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.