Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nervous! File in Underwriting!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nervous! File in Underwriting!!

This is such a nail biting, hair pulling, overhwelming experiene - as if most of you reading this didn't already know that.

Here's our story:

DH and I currently own a small home, have been looking for bigger one for a couple of years.  I messed up our credit three years ago by trusting a debt consolidation company that robbed us of a few thousand dollars and then had three credit cards charged off due to lack of payment by the company who ripped us off.  Anyway, knowing that, I was hoping our scores would be high enough for a loan (and I check them monthly), but unfortunately we're still "just" under the threshold.

So the home of our dreams came across my email three weeks ago - we went and looked at it the next day and made an offer.  The next day, the offer was accepted!  Now the fun part.

We found out after a week 'n a half of trying that we could not get approved no matter which route we took.  I was devasted and DH was frustrated.  He was okay with it though knowing we had a roof over our heads and that time will make it better and we can look again.  I didn't stop there - I really want this house.  That didn't suit me Smiley Happy  So I went to father-in-law, with the approval of DH, and asked if he would co-sign.  He of course said yes!!!  He has a middle score of 820, makes over $80,000 per year and no debt for over 20 years.  I told him we could refinance and kick him off the mortgage as soon as our credit scores came up, about 6 months is all we need.  We were told we should do a conventional loan with 10% down - I said okay.

So I got all the paperwork on my father-in-law over to the LO and the appraisal was completed last week - it's been in UW since last week and he says we should have an approval by the middle of this week or know if there are any conditions to satisfy.

I'm really nervous because my father-in-law was temporarily laid off since the beginning of November as he ALWAYS is this time of year by his employer (he also volunteers for it so he can go hunting without feeling guilty of missing so much work).  He is scheduled to go back next week - his employer wrote a very nice letter for the file ensuring this is temporary, always happens this time of year, and he would be back in the very near future.  I can't see how anyone would NOT want my father-in-law having this mortgage.  He has more money in the bank than what the actual price of the house is - he could purchase it in cash if he absolutely needed to and wanted to take some penalties on early withdrawl's from CD's. . .wow, this got long. . . I'm just praying nothing goes wrong.  Set to close December 29th and LO says we could probably do it way before that and is aiming for the 15th.  Just gonna have to wait and see where we're spending Christmas!  Does anyone foresee this getting denied??

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nervous! File in Underwriting!!

understand that unless the FIL is buying the property solely (and you guys are not on the loan), they go by the lowest mid FICO score of all parties on the loan.  Having a co-signer helps when assets or DTI is an issue but does not help low FIC scores.  I doubt you will be able to get a loan if you are under the 620 FHA minimum on a conventional loan just because you have a co-signor.

Also high FICO and solid income also has to be factored into ALL debts.  So if he has a mortgage already and other debts along with anyone else on the loan DTI can be tricky.  Sometimes it helps and sometimes it does not.

Good luck with it either way. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the response!  He is on the loan solely - his mid score just came in at 826.  I did also hear the FHA raised the bar to a minimum of 640 on November 20th or so, hence the reason we couldn't get the loan.  He doesn't have any debts, no other mortgages, nothing - still hoping we don't have any issues.

We just got a bunch of disclosures sent over tonight for signature, but I think they were all suppose to go out right after the application was filed three weeks ago?  I'm not sure. . .

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Been on pins and needles myself. We are shooting for a December 15, closing as well. Good luck!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck to you too!

We still don't have an answer and I just called the LO again a few minutes ago - he says it's still in underwriting. . . story of my life these days.

Message 5 of 6
bigjule111
Established Member

go to coldwell banker    they are still doing mid 600 fha loans....
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.