cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nervous about underwriting approval.

tag
ITCargeek

Nervous about underwriting approval.

I have been looking around for information about underwriting since my wife and are trying to purchase our first home with a usda loan. We have been pre approved with our lender and according to the pre approval letter we were pre approved using GUS guidelines. So far everything has been good including the home appraisal. When our loan got sent to underwriting they came back asking about my wife's gap in employment which was due to us relocating for my job. We sent them a letter of explanation and that was Wednesday. I have started worrying about this causing us to possibly not be able to get the house. Anyone else have experience with anything like this? We are supposed to close on sep 20 and it feels like we have been sweating bullets worrying about the possibility of not getting the home.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Nervous about underwriting approval.

How long was the employment gap?  Usually if it's longer than 3 months they may want her to be on her new job for at least 6 months, if the job gap was less than 3 months then odds are it'll be OK without her being at her new job for 6 months.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
ITCargeek

It was for 7 months. She finally found something seasonal and worked that. Since then she hasn't had a gap in employment which was almost 3 years ago. From that seasonal job she got a part time and now she has been working full time in a permanent position for almost 9 months.
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

From the sounds of it her employment should be fine, from your initial post I was assuming the job gap was in the recent past... not 3 years ago.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.