Nervous about underwriting approval.

I have been looking around for information about underwriting since my wife and are trying to purchase our first home with a usda loan. We have been pre approved with our lender and according to the pre approval letter we were pre approved using GUS guidelines. So far everything has been good including the home appraisal. When our loan got sent to underwriting they came back asking about my wife's gap in employment which was due to us relocating for my job. We sent them a letter of explanation and that was Wednesday. I have started worrying about this causing us to possibly not be able to get the house. Anyone else have experience with anything like this? We are supposed to close on sep 20 and it feels like we have been sweating bullets worrying about the possibility of not getting the home.
Super Contributor

Re: Nervous about underwriting approval.

How long was the employment gap?  Usually if it's longer than 3 months they may want her to be on her new job for at least 6 months, if the job gap was less than 3 months then odds are it'll be OK without her being at her new job for 6 months.

It was for 7 months. She finally found something seasonal and worked that. Since then she hasn't had a gap in employment which was almost 3 years ago. From that seasonal job she got a part time and now she has been working full time in a permanent position for almost 9 months.
Super Contributor

From the sounds of it her employment should be fine, from your initial post I was assuming the job gap was in the recent past... not 3 years ago.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.