cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build Q's - Make Offer B4 or After Credit Check, When to Inspect?

tag
RobSteal
Valued Member

New Build Q's - Make Offer B4 or After Credit Check, When to Inspect?

Hello,

I am interested in building a new house and had questions concerning the order of steps in this process. I have narrowed down which builder and model I want to go for, however, I have not begun the actual application process yet. Can someone tell me if this order is correct?

1) After deciding on a specific plan, do I make an official offer (including negotiating for extra house options) BEFORE I actually apply with their mortgage company? I am still considering possibly going to a slightly pre-owned home as a second option, but I haven't found the right home yet. I want to keep my options open, therefore I do not want to do credit checks until I am fully ready to go. I want to apply for mortgages during the 14 day window so I do not get multiple hits on my credit and ding my score. (I am assuming worst case scenario that the mortgage companies are using the old Fico model)

2) If I do go the new home route, it will typically take 3-4 months in completion of the home. At what point during the build process should I use an outside inspector to review the progress? How many times should the home inspector check out the house? Should they inspect the foundation first then come back and check after all the wood of the house in place and do a pre-drywall inspection? How many times should a home inspector actually visit the property? Is this overkill?

I am pretty detail orientated type person, so I want to make sure the home is being built correctly and catch build flaws before they are hidden and becomes a problem later.

Thanks for any feedback you may have.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
donkort
Valued Contributor

Re: New Build Q's - Make Offer B4 or After Credit Check, When to Inspect?

If it were me, I'd get the house inspected at various points in the building process--as much as you could afford.  I would bet there are people in this forum who might know decent and ethical home inspectors.  You could get the referral, then look him up in such sites as the Better Business Bureau. Like you said, you want to catch the flaws at the beginning before these flaws create, exponentially, many more flaws.  You want to catch the flaws in the foundation before they trickle up, like termites, into the material above the (flawed) foundation.

I would keep track of your credit as well; it is essential, especially in these times, that you know how you stand credit-wise, especially when you begin to get your credit pulled.  I believe, if I'm correct, that an infinite amount of mortgage inquiries count as one inquiry within a 45-day time period.

I'm not an expert--so experts chime in. 

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.