Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Contruction - How long to build?

tag
Beasley12
Regular Contributor

New Contruction - How long to build?

I know the build times varies depending on home size, customizations, work load, weather, etc however I am just curious about people's experiences and times from start to finish.

For example, they started framing my house on Saturday and as of yesterday my house has windows and 90% siding. No rain within the past week...3600 sq ft house. Is that reasonable or are they working too fast? I nearly passed out when I saw what was done on yesterday.
EQ FICO 564 (3/12) Lender pull 673 (4/12) FICO 703 (6/13)
TU FICO 605 (6/12) to FICO 687 (3/13) Lender pull 680 (4/13)
EXP FICO lender pull (4/13) 651
Homeowner since September 2013!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Mondavi
Regular Contributor

Re: New Construction - How long to build?

Depends on how the framing was done prefabricated trusses go up much faster than manually made ones.

They are going to start building my house at the end of September and one of the main reasons I went with my builder was do to the fact the trusses were all manually cut by the same crew that has been doing it for 15 years. My roof with all be 2x6's instead of 2 x4's and that makes me very happy. My home is 2100 sq feet and estimated time of completion is 3-4 months.

Message 2 of 13
Amythyst
Contributor

They started on our home the first week of April and they are completely finished with it as of this week.  Only thing they haven't done is the outside grading and the landscaping.

Message 3 of 13
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

I'm building in Florida so I am expecting some delays since it's hurricane season now. Our paper work on our design studio paper work said 9/26 for estimated closing, but realistically I'm figuring sometime in October. They poured the foundation on 5/30 and they already have all the electrical, cable and windows and roof done. We have our pre drywall meeting on Monday.

Message 4 of 13
Ugghh
Established Member

We are working with a small custom builder that only works with a small set of subs and he pretty much knows everyone doing everything to the house.  He only builds 4-8 houses a year here in FL.  It is taking him 10 months based on the time frame that I asked for to build our house.

Message 5 of 13
Beasley12
Regular Contributor

I was right to worry. I passed by the house on Friday and saw that the elevation that they started was not the elevation I paid for. I called my sales rep frantically and sent emails. He is currently trying to get in touch with the builder. It appears as though the builder used the elevation plans for the three car garage option on my home. I am purchasing the two car garage option. I guess he thought the only change was the third car garage. The difference is that my elevation has all brick in the front with curved bay windows. The elevation he used calls for siding on one side of the gable and square windows. Still smiling though....God is still in control! I am sure they will fix it.
Message 6 of 13
MrChairman
Established Contributor

sounds like an expensive fix

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 13
adymax
Contributor

Did you met with house construction manager before they started building? Did you go over options with him to make sure everything is what you want?   Expensive mistake for sure. 

Message 8 of 13
justjunie928
New Contributor

I signed all my final papers on 7/8 and was told it should be completed by December.  Last drive-by they had completed the plumbing and was getting ready to pour the slab.   I wanted it to be done March 2014.  I had put in for the house in April but I prolonged the paper signing and selections as long as I could.  Glad I did because the house is priced 20k higher and I wouldn't be able to afford it..... thank God! 

Message 9 of 13
Beasley12
Regular Contributor

Re: New Contruction - How long to build?

No I did not speak to the construction manager. Today he admitted his mistake and said he will replace the siding with brick per the plans. This is really crazy. Imagine what would happen if I wwre out of town for a week or two when they made the mistake....what if they bricked the house before I could catch the mistake? Either way the house is moving along. Roof finished today and plumbers running water lines.

Congrats justjunie!
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.