Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Home Construction Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Home Construction Question

If we notice any problems with the house house such as damage to the wood floors should we tell them to fix it prior to closing? I know they come back after 30 days and 6 months to fix any problems, but should i have them fix that beforehand.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Home Construction Question

What kind of damage are you talking about?  If it's scuffs and scrapes - that is, mostly cosmetic issues - then it might be difficult to prove that you weren't the cause of the damage if you wait until a few months after your move in.  We had new hardwood floors put in last year, and they started to accumulate "damage" (really, it's just normal wear and tear) from day one.  These kinds of problems can often be fixed fairly quickly.

If the damage is more severe - cracked or warped floorboards that might need to be replace, for example - then I think it would be best to have it addressed before moving in, because if it's going to involve moving of furniture, sanding and varnishing, etc., then it could be a hassle.

Message 2 of 6
sinceregal09
Valued Member

Hello there....We just closed on our house the other week and we built new construction as well....

ANYTHING that is wrong with the house, have them fix it before closing....Scuffs, etc. I don't care....If you are building from scratch, that is your obligation as the new homeowner...Cosmetic issues included...

In fact, when we went to the closing table...Before the attorney started with us signing the papers he asked us if we had any issues with the house before we got started with the paperwork...For us, even after we had our own inspections (one was a regular inspection and the other was because we built a green house and went through certification), the builder had a final walkthough....From that walkthrough, we went through the house again as well as shared with him what our inspector found and that gave us a "punch list"....The final walkthrough was purposefully scheduled a few days before closing so that the builder had enough time to get things fixed before we went to the table....And sure enough, they were done for us to move ahead giving our wrist some action signing those papers, lol....

Our builder process was after closing, since the builder warrants the house for the 1st year....We have a 2 month, 6 month and 11 month followup....Of course, if something should happen like we got a leak in bathroom pipes, we are to call the list of contractors we were given during our walkthrough right away even if it's 2 a.m. in the morning, lol   and not wait until one of the "scheduled meetings" that makes sure everything is still in order and meeting quality standards....

I don't want to sound like I'm preaching...But you can feel free to look at my previous posts...It's not that many, considering I just started posting since there were quite a few folks doing new construction and we were all sharing stories....

Since I just recently closed and wrote about that experience, I decided to post more once I started getting questions from others going through the process as well...

Have a good evening :-D

Shelly

Starting Score: TU-720, EQ-692, EX(FAKO)-766
Current Score: TU-720, EQ-692, EX(FAKO)-766
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
rockymtngrl
Frequent Contributor

Anything that needs to be fixed prior to closing let them know about and get it fixed, no matter how small. I bought a new house a few years back and before closing we did a walk thru with the contractor and he had a couple of guys with him who had paint, spackle, caulk, tools etc and they were fixing things we found as we were walking thru the house. On the other hand anything that they say they will fix later, after you close, get it in writing or don't close until its fixed.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

We went through the house and listed out everything that needs to be fixed during our presettlement meeting with the project manager. It was mostly just touch up stuff such as extra layers of paint and stuff like that. He said they would be fixing this morning and we're hopefully getting our keys later this afternoon! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I just closed last Friday and they were still fixing things that day BEFORE I picked up my keys.  They were very willing...  and trust me, you will still find things once you move in.  With a brand new home, that Awe Effect can get you but after a day you will notice things that will bother you.  Luckily I visited the home so many times I was able to see those beforehand. Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.