Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Mortgage with New Student Loans

tag
PresidentPatton
Contributor

New Mortgage with New Student Loans

I have a quick question. I am hoping to buy a new home in the next couple of months as I am working on credit wows but am also wanting to get my MBA started. Is it wise to start my MBA and begin racking up new student loans now or wait to start school after I close on a new house?

Thanks for any guidance you all might have to give!

PresP
2/6/15: Credit Karma: 626
4/23/13: TU 615, EX 600, EQ 581
1/16/13: TU 585, EX 525, EQ 514
Goal: Purchase Second Home ASAP

Cards: Cap1 Secured - $300; Authorized User on Chase Card: $5500.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
kjel
Established Contributor

Re: New Mortgage with New Student Loans

@PresidentPatton wrote:

I have a quick question. I am hoping to buy a new home in the next couple of months as I am working on credit wows but am also wanting to get my MBA started. Is it wise to start my MBA and begin racking up new student loans now or wait to start school after I close on a new house?

Thanks for any guidance you all might have to give!

If you have student loans showing on your reports, even if they are in deferment, the eventual payment may be used to calculate your DTI. If the house is the priority at the moment, I'd wait on returning to school.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your loans are in deferment for 1 year past the closing date, then it will not go against you dti. In order to get your loans deffered, you must be enrolled at least half time. (For graduate students, that's usually about 4-5 credit hours per semester depending on your school.)
Message 3 of 5
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

shane posted an article stating FHA is changing the rules on deferred student loans.  i recommend checking out the new rules as they are supposed to begin including them.

for conventional, you can't have your student loans in deferment.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 4 of 5
PresidentPatton
Contributor

Thank you everyone!

I do currently have 2 student loans but they are paid as agreed. I just didn't want to mess up my future mortgage app with new student loans. I'm hoping to get into a new house withint the next few months so I will hold off on pursuing the student loans for my MBA.

Thanks Again.

PresP
2/6/15: Credit Karma: 626
4/23/13: TU 615, EX 600, EQ 581
1/16/13: TU 585, EX 525, EQ 514
Goal: Purchase Second Home ASAP

Cards: Cap1 Secured - $300; Authorized User on Chase Card: $5500.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.