cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New collections, FHA

tag
Brandytab

New collections, FHA

I can't believe this has happened, but it has.  I can only kick myself so far.  Now I need to know where to go from here.

We are in a house, we are renting and have to close on it by the summer.  The earlier the better.  We were planning on going the FHA route, as my credit score is 655 and the 3.5% down is easier to come up with as opposed to 20%.  This month is one year of no lates - there were mortgage lates last year as we were paying for two homes due to job relocation.  None beyond 30 days late.  We always paid our rent on time.

We switched cable providers and I tried to pay my final balance and couldn't log on.  It slipped my mind.  I recieved a letter from a collection agency, CPA.  I paid it instantly, as they told me that it wasn't on my report yet (It was not, I have monitoring on) and I should pay it now to prevent that.  Like an idiot, I listened.  Anyway, I have a thread on the rebuilding credit forum to try and get this removed.

Let's say that it won't go away.  My credit score is now down to a 614.  I'm below 620.  The collection shows to be sent to the agency in June, Equifax shows first delinquecy in April.  When am I good to go FHA?  Is there any way to go conventional with this on my credit?  Worst case scenario I pull the 20% out of my 401K, though not ideal.  Will June count as 12 months, or April, or next October (as this is when it showed up, and had a status change).  I'm going to guess that my credit will bounce back over 620 by the spring or summer, and I KNOW that there's nothing else out there lingering to take it back down.

Thanks so much.  

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Brandytab

Re: New collections, FHA

Let me add, this is the only collection on the CR.

Message 2 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

How large is it?

Try to GW the collection since you have already paid it

Message 3 of 12
Brandytab

$202  

I will GW them, though it seems as if there is little luck from my online searches unless someone has a specific email address to a person there.  I've sent out about 5 GWs through various routes with Comcast but will try CPA.  

Message 4 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Also make sure you opt out so to limit the chances of anything else popping up.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 12
beb86
Valued Contributor

it may be long enough that when it comes time to go to underwriting you may just need a LOE but I would still try and GW it and work on inproving your credit for the next few months.

Message 6 of 12
Booner72
Senior Contributor

The twelve month clock starts from when you apply.  So say you apply June 5, 2013.  It would go back to June 5, 2012.

You'll be able to get the collection removed if you try everything you can.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 7 of 12
Brandytab

I'm not sure what 'opt out' means, or how I do it.

Message 8 of 12
Brandytab

I do understand that the 12 month clock starts from the application date, but at what point will this be considered twelve months old according to FHA?  April, June or October?  I'm trying to figure out worst case scenario for 12 months.

Equifax shows first delinquent as April, sent to collections in June, paid in October.  Experian shows only the June date.  

I'm going to try EVERYTHING to get this removed, but I'd like to know that if I am unable to (and I'm worried about that being the case), what the earliest date will be to apply.  We've had no lates besides the mortgages a year ago, no other collections, no judgements, so keeping good credit between now and then will not be a problem.

Thank you!

Message 9 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Go here and opt out.  It helps keep the CAs from sniffing around when you go to apply for a mortgage.   Yes, your friendly CRAs do notify CAs of people that are applying for mortgages.  

https://www.optoutprescreen.com

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.