Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New construction, first time buyer

tag
cet2062
Valued Member

New construction, first time buyer

Hi all,

My fiancée and I are getting married next month and looking to purchase a home in the next 6-8 months. We have decided on new construction because it gives me the greatest sense of predictability and security when it comes to home repairs! Our big question is how to go about our situation, as we have run numbers based on every scenario out there.

Current joint income -$98k, will be $110k by June time frame (fiancée has written confirmation by employer of promotion when cycle comes up, I know these things can change but we’d like to consider this as fact)
Debts - my student loan ($161), one car ($450), credit card payments (currently $800, we plan to get this down - we’ve been putting a lot on here for the wedding so right after wedding we will be able to get this down).
Down payment - currently $5k, goal to have $15k or more
FICO mortgage scores - mid scores at 650 (lowest of the two, mine is 677)

My main questions here are, when going through the new construction process, will a lender approve us based on our “what if” scenario (I.e. more income, less debt, more down payment) so we can get the house building process started? The builder told me the down payment situation should be fine, it’s more the preapproval I’m worried about. In addition to that, if you have any idea of the range you’d approve us for based off the above information that would be great.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New construction, first time buyer

Post your credit card info, account by account, including balance now and limit of each.

Post any derogatory info on either account.

Shouldn’t be a problem to get you in the 700s if your negatives aren’t horrible
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New construction, first time buyer

The lender will not approve you on a "what if" scenario. That would be bad business on their part. If you get the preapproval now, as the time gets closer and if the house is not complete yet, you could have the lender run a new scenario using her new income. At that point, if you're approved, the only thing it would do is change your DTI though so it's not a big deal there. Usually if you're worried about income, it would be wanting to get the raise first so you can afford a larger home. If you signed the contract already, it doesn't matter. 

If you're trying to calculate DTI and how much home you can afford, here's a simple way. Take your yearly gross income and divide by 12, so for you that's $8,166. If you get a conventional loan, your current debts including a new mortgage payment, taxes, insurance, HOA fees, etc cannot exceed 43% of your income. For you that means you cannot go over $3,511/month. If you get an FHA loan, your current debts, including new mortgage payment, taxes, insurance, HOA fees, etc cannot exceed 56.99% if your income. For you that means you cannot go over $4,653/month. It's important to note that there are lenders who have overlays, which means they have additional rules on top of the minimum allowance is. 

As far as your student loans, if you go the FHA route, it is required by law to use 1% of your student loan balance when calculating your DTI. Even if the payment on your credit report shows a lower amount. It is only conventional loans that will take your current payment into account. 

Also, if you're buying new construction, depending on the builder, you will not need the money for the full down payment the same day you sign the contract. Some builders will initiate a payment plan especially if the home isn't built yet. For example, the day we signed our contract, the builder wanted a $1,000 payment. We were then put on a monthly payment plan from March-June to pay around half of the downpayment. The other half is due at closing. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.