Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New credit cards

tag
MonsterMad28
Established Member

New credit cards

Finally after a long and stressful month we have closed on our home and it is ours. My question is I wanted to apply for a couple store cards for things around the house. We just closed today. Is everything safe and okay?

6 REPLIES 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: New credit cards

@MonsterMad28 wrote:

Finally after a long and stressful month we have closed on our home and it is ours. My question is I wanted to apply for a couple store cards for things around the house. We just closed today. Is everything safe and okay?

If you closed and funded and have keys in hand, then CONGRATS!  and yes, it is okay to apply for credit cards...use your inq's wisely

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and enjoy your new home.  Yes, it is safe to apply for cards.

Message 3 of 7
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Might I suggest PenFed Credit Union? 1 EQ pull and apply for multiple products with decent rates.

It sounds like you want to carry a balance for awhile? If so, look for one that offers 0% financing for the first 12-21 months.

Congrats!

Message 4 of 7
jevoyager
Established Member

I don't know, I was told to wait at least a day before doing anything in my home buying class, to give them time to officially file the paperwork. We were told that some companies continue to monitor your credit until it's been submitted.

Message 5 of 7
MonsterMad28
Established Member

Thank you to everyone for your answers.

Message 6 of 7
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

I closed on Tuesday. Loan was fully funded at closing and I got my keys right then and there. I asked both the loan processor and officer if I was ok to start using my savings money and apply for a couple of credit cards. They told me since the loan is funded and keys in hand I was good to go and could do what ever I want.

I went ahead and applied for 2 cards I had been wanting prior to my mortgage process but had to wait because of the no new credit or debt rule during the mortgage process. I went ahead and applied right after I closed in case my scores drop a little when the mortgage hits. I have a few things to do around the house and figured I'd get the cards and use the spend to get a couple sign up bonuses and pay them off before the statement cuts. I look at as if I am not paying interest and they are paying me to use the card, free money is free money. But don't get a new card and a sign up bonus then pay interest because you're basically losing your sign up bonus paying the interest charge.

Good Luck with the new house!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.