Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New home building Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New home building Questions

I apoligize in head of time for posting here is this is the wrong area to post this to. I am brand new to this forum.

Basically, my girlfriend and I are in the market for a new home. Our MAX budget is 380,000. We havent been able to find a home in the area we want to live(schools, crime, etc.) We have found a plot of land near familly that has been put up for sale due to the death of the owner.

LOOOONNNNGGGG story short, he owes around 180,000 too 200,000 on the property. His only family is his nephew from half way across the country. (i actually feel bad for him for inheriting this mess) There is a piece of crap home on the property we could live in but we dont want to. We want to tear down and build, or donate the house to the local fire department.

Any whoo, If we were able to aquire these 3 acres and run down home for around 190,000, how much would we able to build witht the rest of the money left over? Would we be able to afford more because construction loans are wayyy cheaper? Would living in the bad home for a year increase our chance for a bigger build loan?

Help!

Thanks much.

Z

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New home building Questions

Bump Smiley Embarassed

Message 2 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If he owes 180-200k, and you want to get it for 190k, are you saying the land is only worth 190k and he has no equity? 

Message 3 of 6
Arhsub

Am sorry I don't know much about it.

But I think counselling with a lawyer or builder is better. I hope they will charge nothing for counselling. 

Message 4 of 6
J_G
Regular Contributor

I think you should talk with a builder and get a estimate in what it would coat to Tear down and build you're new home.
7/1/13 - EQ = 593 TU = 578 EXP = 573 FICO
8/11/13 - EQ = 600 TU = 590 EXP = 603 FICO
10/1/13 - EQ = 611 TU = 689 EXP = 605 FICO
12/4/13 - EQ = 625 TU = 648 EXP = 604
Lender Pull 2/18/14 - EQ = 630 TU = 678 EXP = 594
Lender Pull 2/28/14 (EQ 640) (TU 660) (EX 655) Rapid re-score =)
9/30/14 - EQ = 660 TU = 710 EXP = 669
Message 5 of 6
accidentalpancake
Regular Contributor

If you're lucky and he owes close to what the land is worth, you're still not going to be able to build much on the 100k that's left, especially if you consider demo of the existing home. 

I'd consult with a builder, but it really depends on what your needs are.

FICO as of Feb 2017:
EQ 712 | 728 TU | 713 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.