Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New house//used car

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New house//used car

I need some advice.  I am in the process of putting my house on the market and want to buy another house.  (Next 6 months).  I am trying to hold off on buying a new car.   (Car currently has 202,000 miles) The only debt  I have is a credit card $150 balance with FICO scores of 701,698,699.  Will I be okay to buy a new car up to $16,000 or should I hold off?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New house//used car

We bought a new (to us) car in February and are in the process of buying.  The vehicle was $16000 and all payments have been on time but I'm not sure it's really helping OR hurting us at this point.

Message 2 of 5
203bravo
Established Contributor

it's really going to depend on what your current income and debt load is... can your DTI ratio take the extra payment and still be within UW guidelines. 

Message 3 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@203bravo wrote:

it's really going to depend on what your current income and debt load is... can your DTI ratio take the extra payment and still be within UW guidelines. 

Good advice there!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 5
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

It will not hurt chances credit wise if you get a car but as mentioned will it hurt your ratios - for fha you need to be at 50% (gross monthly divided by all minimum payments including housing) or less and your scores would be fine

For conventional the ratio should be 43% or less and the better your scores the better the rate

B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.