Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New mortgage loan & credit cards balances

tag
_GOPackGO_
Valued Member

New mortgage loan & credit cards balances

I’ve always left a small utilization on all credit cards each month while rebuilding credit. About to make the leap and apply for a mortgage, but what would be the best way to do this, prior to applying for a mortgage loan, is it better to have all credit cards paid in full ($0 balance owed) or show a small percentage owed on each? (utilization 3-5 %)?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

Re: New mortgage loan & credit cards balances

Pay all to $0 except for one.  Leave the small percentage on one card, not all of them.

Message 2 of 5
_GOPackGO_
Valued Member

Got it! The small percentage that I'm to leave on one card, should I leave it on the card that has the smallest credit limit on it or the largest? Small percentage, would 3% be good, or should I leave more or go less? Thank you so much ! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

It doesn't matter.  The percentage is weighted the same regardless of the actual dollar amount.

Message 4 of 5
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Yes 3% or less on one card. If your CL is 100 dollars leave 3 dollars on that one card or less
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.