Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Regular Contributor

New to mortgages but think I'm ready

I'm in the service industry and work full time as a bartender and bar manager, title is glorified but I have it. 

The details:

At current position for 3.5 years, and it great standing with the small group of restaurants

On paper I bring in ~50k a year based on tax returns. Realistically its closer to 80k.

EX Fico is 727.

Monthly debts:

- Car loan: 310

- Credit cards, I pay in full so I can pay them off and use debit if needed

- Student loans, monthly payment is 230, but I have been putting 600/mo towards them. 3,000 remaining and can pay it off tomorrow

- House keeper in my dads house and pay rent to him, but more or less off the books.

If I pay my student loans, my DTI is maybe 7-8%

Now the hard part since I deposit cash all the time and it doesn't match my paycheck. I do have an account with ~13,400 that hasn't had anything added for 2 months. I have $2500 in checking that pretty much hovers around that amount as cash comes in and debts get paid. Have 21k in liquid assets in stocks.

Thinking that I will only use the 13.4k if possible as the down payment as the deposits are 2 months old, from what I've read that's the timeframe that the banks won't ask where the deposits came from.

Wondering if I could get preapproved and if so, roughly for how much. My girlfriend would be living with me and paying towards the mortgage but her DTI is too high to put her on it.

Amex ED 30k | CSR 20k | Cap1 Venture 18k | Chase Freedom 6k | Chase FU 5k | USAA Amex 14k |Cap1 QS 3.3k
Super Contributor

Re: New to mortgages but think I'm ready

50,000 / 12 = 4166

4166 * .45 = 1874

1874 minus 230 debt payments =  $1644 max mortgage payment

how much you qualify for will vary based on taxes and insurance where you live. ($1644 buys less house in high tax states)

* While I try to visit the forum often, please feel free to contact me directly with a link to your post if I fail to answer a follow up question.

* Lending across the entire 'Great State of Texas' (and now Louisiana)since 2004

* The Loan Officer who you can call anytime... and answers your questions Nights & Weekends

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.