Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nightmare in underwriting

tag
nickdymez
Valued Member

Nightmare in underwriting

So ive been in escrow now for a month. Was scheduled to sign docs yesterday. I get a call from my broker stating that the underwriter needs me to be out of my current lease at my apartment before she will sign off on my docs being prepared. Has anyone else heard of this? I paid rent on the first (Because I have roommates) and the guy that was going to take over for me was planning on moving in on the first of July. Not to mention that there is a 100 dollar a day per diem that I have to pay everyday past the 30 days. I was sick to my stomach. I think im going to have to pull out. Extremely hurt

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pmarti8
Valued Member

Re: Nightmare in underwriting

Can't you and the guy who is taking your place at the apartment go to the leasing office and have you removed from the lease and him added? Most apartment complexes are ok with this if the new leasee is employed and has decent credit.  You could then have them draft a letter with verification that you are no longer liable for the lease.  I would  try that before walking away. 

My heart goes out to you. Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 07/2010 TU 541 EQ 593 Exp 529
Current Score:TU 654 EQ 644 EX 594 br>Goal Score:ALL 660 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
nickdymez
Valued Member

Hey whats going on? I wish it were that simple. But there is a whole process to getting the guy approved and it takes 4 days. It really sucks bad for me..

Message 3 of 5
pmarti8
Valued Member

That's sucks.  So nice of them to wait until you get to final underwriting to spring this on you.  I know when I worked with loan officers one of the 1st things they asked me was if I was renting or had a current mortgage.  If renting they asked me how many months were left on my lease.  That's strange you even got to this point without someone catching that. 

Starting Score: 07/2010 TU 541 EQ 593 Exp 529
Current Score:TU 654 EQ 644 EX 594 br>Goal Score:ALL 660 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Well, logically that condition makes sense since you have that requirement to pay it (particularly if you aren't month to month), but I've never heard of a lender making that requirement as part of funding your loan.  I'd write a letter of explanation to the underwriter and ask them to review it while the new "guy" is applying to get his name on the lease/yours removed.  The underwriter should permit your loan documents to be drawn up, and perhaps just require the new lease to be provided before they'd be willing to fund your loan (send the wire to the title company).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.