Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-purchasing spouse with bad credit

tag
deg757
Regular Contributor

Non-purchasing spouse with bad credit

I pulled my scores this morning and they have climbed above the 640 mark so I made the call to the mortgage broker. I am a nervous wreck waiting for him to call me back with the actual credit scores. Here is my question. Will my husbands bad credit report keep me from obtaining a mortgage? I was told that if he wasn't going to be on the mortgage then all they needed from his credit reports is information for DTI. I'm nervous that his unpaid collections will hurt us. We live in Louisiana, which as I understand it is a community property state so he would be on the deed. My DTI is fine (even if they only use my income to calculate) and the only collection on my report was paid in full 3 years ago. No late payments for 13 months. He has a bunch of late payments from a couple years ago and 3 unpaid collections which I think are out of SOL but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Non-purchasing spouse with bad credit

I was denied because of my non purchasing spouse here in Texas. Because of her recent late payments. My scores were good.

Message 2 of 12
jinca
Established Member

In my case, they ran my wife's credit and her student loans were used in my DTI. She has no credit to speak of other than the loans. We closed without issue. 

Message 3 of 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I believe that the answer will vary based on if you live in a community property state.   Assuming that you don't then your spouse's credit report shouldn't have to be pulled at all.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in Missouri and my husband just got the pre approval yesterday from Wells Fargo. I know my scores are too low and when we talked to our loan officer we told him that up front. He never even ran my scores. My husbands DTI works out just fine so they weren't worried about it. Now this is just a  pre approval so I don't know if something will change before the final close. But out LO wasn't worried about it at all, so this tells me we are good to go with just my husbands income and credit.

Message 5 of 12
deg757
Regular Contributor

I just talked to the lender and he said nothing on his credit report would affect me being approved other than the monthly payments on his debt. They could cause my DTI to be too high since he can only use my income. But, my husband doesn't have any debt on his own so no problems there. I'm sending documents over this afternoon.

Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Message 6 of 12
mkm77
Regular Contributor

FHA Loans are where this can be an issue and based on a 640 I'm guessing that's what your applying for. But typically (I'm here in Texas) a spouses debt is counted and they can't have issues with a Mortgage recently. 

Message 7 of 12
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Yeah thats what we ran into, my wife had a late payment on her mortgage in the last 12 months. They wouldn't let me buy a home, I have to wait till March.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have heard of instances where the non borrowing spouse signs an affidavit stating that the borrowing spouse is purchasing the home solely and the N.B. spouses waives interest in property and it doesn't affect DTI ratio.  Is that true?

Message 9 of 12
SJ02
Established Member

Yes, that is correct!  I live in LA and our 1st and 2nd homes were purchased in my name only.  At the signing, the mortgage attorney had my husband sign the forms.   When appyling for the loans we never had any problems.

Starting Score: 492
Current Score: EQ615
Current Score: EX579
Fako (Credit Sesame) Score: 689
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.