Established Contributor
Crossdivided

Nontaxable Income Upconversion

My main source of income comes from the Veterans Administration (compensation) and is nontaxable. It is my understanding that nontaxable income is upconverted (sorry if that's the wrong terminology) +25% for DTI purposes.

Is this info correct? If so, is it more or less a given or do lenders choose if they want to calculate that way?

It would be a VA mortgage if that makes a difference.

Any information/input whatsoever would be appreciated. Thank you.
Established Contributor
Crossdivided

Re: Nontaxable Income Upconversion

bump

Super Contributor
ShanetheMortgageMan

Re: Nontaxable Income Upconversion

"Grossed up" is the term you are looking for.

Most lenders will gross it up by 20-25%.  However some lenders will determine what your federal tax bracket would be and gross it up by that amount, i.e. if you are in a 15% tax bracket they'll only gross it up by 15%.

It's a good idea to shore that up with your loan officer when determining what you can qualify for.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}